New Lounger
    Thanks

Making business cards (Word 2000)

Help. I've got Word 2000 and its "Envelopes & Labels" tool, plus a .BMP graphic/logo, and Avery 5371 business-card sheets (10 cards, 2x3.5 inches). I need a pointer to step-by-step directions for putting the graphic in the upper-left corner, plus putting company info in lower left and right. I'd like to leave the center free for individual company workers to put in there own name/contact info. I've tried all kinds of things, but cannot get any control over this "Envelopes & Labels" thingie... tables don't go, graphic can be imported but not sized, etc. Anyone with expertise in doing this? Or is there another, better way?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Making business cards (Word 2000)

This link to Microsoft relates to Word 2002. There may be some differences with 2000, but it may be worth checking out. It also provides links to templates. Also, if you check Google under "making business cards," you'll find an extensive number of links. Sorry I can't be more specific, but this might be a starting point: http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/200...inessCards.aspx

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks!... Your suggestion to search via Google paid off. For others looking for similar stuff, I found this URL, which looks like a comm-college class assignment, but which has the steps/recipe that should work:

http://www.ecsu.ctstateu.edu/personal/faculty/ whiter/Downloads/BusinessCards.doc

Note that the technique seems to be: a) use Tools|Envelopes & Labels just to choose the right Avery form (#5371 etc); [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] use the New Document button to generate the array of (blank at this point) business cards; c) design your card, including graphic, in the first cell of the array (not in the Envelopes & Labels dialog box, which is where I was going wrong/frustrated); d) use tabular cut-&-paste to replicate your finished card into the other 9 cells of the array/table. Not obvious, and I guess it takes a college prof to show me how to do it! ;-)

Hyperlinks added- Mod

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Lorin:
    I'm curious about something you said. If you completely design your single label & then paste it into the correct label type within Tools/Envelopes & labels, what happens (or didn't you try this)? Also, did you ever design a label & save it as autotext & then use autotext to enter it into Tools/Envelopes & labels?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Phil -- " If you completely design your single label & then paste it into the correct label type within Tools/Envelopes & labels, what happens?" Yes, I tried variations of this, and mostly what seemed to happen was that text would get copied into the E&L text box, but not the graphic (a .wmf image)... and the text formatting/alignment would get jimmied... I seemed to have no control over what was going on in a cut-&-paste into the E&L box. Pure frustration, so I give up! "Also, did you ever design a label & save it as autotext & then use autotext to enter it into Tools/Envelopes & labels?" No, I didn't try this... I seem to have a mental block against using autotext for all but the most basic text substitutions... I should try it.

The approach outlined in the college prof's URL (posted previously) has worked mostly fine... biggest problem is getting "micro-alignments" and spacing tweaked exactly right (important on the limited real-estate of a 3.5x2in business card!). His approach starts out by using the E&L New Document button simply to generate the table-array layout on a new doc page; then he draws a text-box to fill the first cell, and then works out his design within that. Only problem I've encountered is in copying this first cell to the others... again, things don't just copy exactly as to micro-spacing & relative positioning... I think because the original text-box doesn't copy, just the contents. So, lots of fussing around to get things right. That's Word for you. <sigh>