New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 6 Script Errors (WinXP) (6.0.2600.000)

For reasons I can't determine, IE has suddenly started displaying Script Errors on pages that used to work just fine!

I've tinkered with the Script Debugging and Display Notification settings.

If I check "Disable Script Debugging" I get one kind of error dialog, and if I toggle it off, I get another kind of error dialog. Although they look different, both dialog boxes convey different information.

Example: I have a home page at Yahoo. If I have Script Debugging on, the dialog box pops up to inform me (as if I really care) that there is an invalid character at line 2. But if I toggle Script Debugging off, I get a message box that says there's an invalid character on line 1!

How do I track this down and stop these nuisance messages?

I make so many changes to my computer, adding and removing software that I test & etc. that I can't pinpoint what happened immediately before this started!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE 6 Script Errors (WinXP) (6.0.2600.000)

Unless you wrote the page, you are not going to be able to eliminate the errors. Personally, I don't care to see these warnings. If you set "Disable script debugging" and you un-check "Display a notification..." these annoyances should go away.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have Script Debugging turned off, and I also have turned off the display of script errors. But I still get the error messages.

In fact, I got one when I attempted to log on to this page this morning.

There must be something else in the configuration of my IE that's causing this..... Any other ideas?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I have never seen a script error appear if you have script error notification and script debugging turned off. This would be atypical. Can you post on image of the error message box -- or better yet, give us a link to a page with this message??

New Lounger
    Thanks

Here is the error message I get when I have script debugging DISABLED.

The next message will show what it looks like when script debugging is ENABLED.

Both are at http://my.yahoo.com. But I get it everywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

That is weird. It looks like the script debugging is still on. Maybe you need to repair IE? (Control Panel - Add/Delete Programs). Those message boxes are not supposed to appear if you have the boxes checked -- like I can clearly see that you do...

I don't get any error messages from my.yahoo.com...

Thanks

It's very illogical to get the same error on a bunch of pages, unless... some strange add-in or trojan is running on your system. Scanned recently??

New Lounger
    Thanks

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I run McAfee all the time, and I scanned not long ago. I'll run it again.

How do I find out what add-ins I've got? Maybe if I could find that list I could delete them one at a time until the problem goes away.

Looking back on it, it seems that this all started right after WinXP downloaded the most recent updates. I wonder if that could be it? I'm gonna mess around with System Restore and see what happens.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Do you have the latest JVM (5.00.3805)? Start/Run and type WJVIEW to find out. If you haven't, you may have to visit Sun Systems and download their version (and then WJVIEW is inoperative). MS don't do it anymore...
    Rgds

New Lounger
    Thanks

Murray,

Yeah, I have the latest and greatest of the Java.... I checked like you asked.

But in the meantime, THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED BUT THE CAUSE REMAINS UNCERTAIN!

I used the System Restore feature and restored to a condition of a week ago. In the meantime I had installed and uninstalled a PowerPoint viewer for my iPAQ and I had installed a piece of software for submitting accounts receivable to a collection agency. If I get time I'll sleuth a little further to see which one was the culprit.

Thanks for everyone's attention!