Thread: Memory

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Memory

My Dell Dimension 433c PC has 256mb of DRAM memory. Is there a problem if I replace it with 512mb of SDRAM?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Memory

Not so longs as you make sure the new RAM is the same type as your existing. For example, if your computer has PC133 RAM installed and you stick a card of PC100 in, it will work - but you're going to experience oddball errors and crashes because of the two different types of RAM (speed, in this case).

Why not try out the Crucial Memory Selector? I've been enamoured of Crucial for a long time for both the quality of service and support. And since their prices are among the lowest....you have a winning combination there.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,
    Thank you for your reply. I saw an ad today from Office Max for K-Byte Ram: 256mb SDRAM DIMM was $19.99 after rebates. I thought that I would replace my 2 128mb modules with 2 of the K-Byte I wonder if you know anything about K-Byte?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm familiar with the brand, although I've not used it personally. Crucial has me forever as a customer. Since most RAM chips are made in jsut a few foundries, I can't see that it would be problematic - I've always felt that memory is memory for the most part, K-byte or otherwise. So long as you replace the memory with like brand and chips, you shouldn't have any problems. Mixing memory is almost always a recipe for disaster!!
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,
    Thanks for your honest reply. I deeply appreciate both your knowledge and the time and effort you put into this site.
    I'm going to get 2 modules so that I have no problem with mix compatability.
    Eli

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just a quick tip. Your motherboard most likely supports 256MB per slot but I would check with Dell. I did a quick search on Dell because a Dimension 433c did not soud right. I could not find it for you. Check at www.dell.com and go under the "support" tab at the top.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Kent,
    Thank you for your concern and the research that you've done.
    The Dell is a Dimension L433c. In Dell's site for memory, they're offering a 256mb module for Dimension L series so I think that I'm OK.

BTW, I have a no-name PC. How do I find out if that motherboard will support the 2 128mb modules - from my PC?

Eli