Thread: Virtual Regedit

A.Rubin

Virtual Regedit

The SysAdmin here has disabled Registry Editing.[img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img] Many of the annoyances in Office (97) can only be patched by patching the registry. [img]/w3timages/icons/thinks.gif[/img] Is there any way using VB/VBA to simulate some of the Regedit functions. (I know, I know, the answer is, if you can't do it yourself, you shouldn't try to use Regedit.) OS is NT 4.0.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Virtual Regedit

List some of the annoyances/functions you're trying to address.
    Maybe someone here already has a workaround for one or another.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It is simple to get around the registry lockout as just about every application makes changes to the registry everytime it gets used.

If you have a machine that is not locked then export the registry key in question and then put that file on the locked machine and double-click it.

If you want to do it using code, have a look at the GetSetting and SaveSetting in the VBA area.

I have run into System Administrators who disable Ctrl-Alt-Delete to halt a crashed process. Sometimes I wonder if they ever thought about disabling the power switch on the front of the PC as well.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Wait a minute, guys. If you don't want your keyboard taken away, you do NOT defy your system administrator, especially on NT. You may not even have permissions to install software on your machine, let alone hack the registry. I'd suggest you explain the problem and discuss the registry modifications with your sys admin and try persuasion before your start going around him/her and getting into serious trouble. Depending on the company, you could wind up out the door for something like this.
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Fair point.
    What I'd had in mind wasn't back-door registry edits, but rather attempting some relatively harmless VBA workarounds.

Even on my firm's WTS network (where CTL-ALT-DEL access to Task Manager is indeed disabled - of course this means we have users constantly ending their Windows session when they meant to try to end an app - this tends to make some folks a bit cross), users are (grudgingly) permitted to house some self-made macros in their Normal.dots.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, I'm not suggesting that the Sys Admin SHOULD have disabled regedit (and certainly NOT Ctrl-Atl-Del), but if you make an enemy of your Sys Admin, your life will NOT be worth living. [img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]

By the way, if you're using Office 2000, you'd better make your Sys Admins aware that it is sometimes necessary to end an Office app process or you'll have to reboot your machine to start that app again. You might be able to persuade them that Ctrl-Alt-Del isn't as bad as lots and lots of support calls about applications being broken ... because it won't start no matter how many times you've clicked on it and you really need to get Excel up so you can do your time sheet but it won't start no matter what and you're getting out of memory messages and your boss wants .... You get the idea.
    Charlotte

Thanks

Is <root>winntsystem32regedt32.exe disabled as well? I never really understood the difference, myself.

I agree with the suggestion that you get permission to make changes. Also, I have just recently started acquainting myself with "policies" the sysadmin to use to modify the registry at login. These might allow your sysadmin to globally roll out changes if you convince him/her that they are necessary. (See the Office Resource Toolkit for more info.)

A.Rubin

The Registry isn't locked -- just Regedit. I'll try GetSetting and SaveSetting. AFAIK, double-clicking a .reg file still works.

A.Rubin

Examples of Annoyances? Let me count the ways:

(I thought there was a list Markup tag -- Oh, well.)

1. Windows Annoyance: Adding "QuickView" to all right-click file menus (the SysAdmin might go for this)
    2. Windows Annoyance: (As if in View/Options/File Types) Create a new type based on an existing type, so that it can be edited, or for backup in case I screw up the entry. I know how and why to do this using regedit, and restoring the existing registry type is (relatively) safe. (View/Options/File Types/Edit is not disabled, nor are the NT-DOS FTYPE and ASSOC commands. View/Options/File Types/Edit doesn't work if an association is made from the Open With right-click dialog without creating a description, but ASSOC can deassociate the type.)
    3. (Office Application minor Annoyance) Adding "Open in separate application" and "Open read-only" and/or "Open as Copy" entries to the right-click menus for Word and Excel files. I'm already working on adding Open read-only to all the open menus. Once this is done, possibly changing the default to a new function (Open without macros or possibly View).
    4. Uninstalling accidently installed programs (we ARE allowed to install programs, according to the SysAdmin -- but some of them don't properly uninstall -- for example, I seem to have two independent WinZip installations, which fight for control -- and I didn't install either of them.)

I'm sure I'll think of others.