Star Lounger
    Thanks

Att0001.dat Attachments (Outlook 2000)

Hi

I'm running Outlook 2000 here at home yet the office is running Outlook 98 through a corporate desktop environment. Whenever some of my co-workers [in another city of course] send me attachments, i receive them as ATTxxxx.DAT files which I am unable to open. This happens regardless of the attachment type yet is unique to certain users which leads me to expect it is some setting problem on their PC. Some users have no issues and others are able to send me attachments although I still receive the .DAT file presumable with formatting information. If I receive attachments at work from the same people that have problems when they send to me at home the problem is not visible and I can read the attachments fine.

The names of the attachments that I receive seem to increment throughout the day from ATT00001.DAT although i'm not sure what the criteria is [I assume it is sequential].

I've scanned both here and through TechNet and can't seem to turn up any cause. I know about the Wordmail.DAT issues but this seems different. Any suggestions?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Att0001.dat Attachments (Outlook 2000)

it sounds like they are sending them with RTF formatting and one off the servers is stripping the TNEF information, so your outlook at home can't decode it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mary

I've dug a little further and discovered a Knowledge Base bulletin about the TNEF problem that says to get them to dreate a contact for my email and flag that as "send using plain text" to turn off TNEF. Unfortunately, when she does that it says 'You cannot create entries for the Outlook address book'. I'm guessing that she isn't using Outlook Contacts for her addresses and, as I'm several hundred miles away, it's a little problematic for me to fix it for her.

Thanks anyway.

Thanks

Ask them to manually change the format to Plain Text, using the Format menu, while composing the message.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thankyou. We've had a chat and a couple of tests via email and she has successfully changed my address setting to send in plain text and is now fixing it for the other people out there who also have this problem when she sends attachments.

Much appreciated. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]