New Lounger
    Thanks

Word2002 crashes after template used (OfficeXP SR1 + WinXP)

I have installed a template (originally created using Word 97) on a PC running WinXP and Word 2002 (SR1). The template creates a complex document (including insertion of 3-4 autotext entries) ranging from 15 to 60 pages. Intermittantly (every 2nd or 3rd time the template is run) Word crashes some seconds after the final document is dislayed on screen, with the following error message:
    "Word has encountered a problem and needs to close..."
    Appname: winword.exe
    Appver: 10.0.2627.0
    ModName: mso.dll
    ModVer: 10.0.2625.0

After closing down the document is recovered, intact (all seeding completed). According to the MS Knowledge Base issues regarding autotext insertion were fixed in Office XP SR1, yet this is still happening.

Any ideas out there?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Word2002 crashes after template used (OfficeXP SR1 + WinXP)

Do you have access to the code running the building of the document? If not is it bespoke software or COTS (Commercial-off-the-shelf). It sounds like there is a memory problem with the code that is tying up memory and not releasing it.

When this code ran in Word 97 were you getting similar problems?

I doubt that the Autotext entries are the problem but if you don't include Autotexts in the build does it still crash?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Andrew
    I created the original template (which is a monster!) in Word 97. The template uses Word, data stored in an Access database (linking via DAO 3.51 or DAO 3.6), and inserts a number of different documents to build up a final document of 30+ pages. The template runs fine in both Word 97 and Word 2000, even on my old P200 machine with 64MB of RAM (though extremely slowly!).

I have tried REMing out code for all the Autotext entries and this made no difference at all. The problem has been encountered on 2 PCs running Office XP - one using the original version of Word 2002 and one upgraded to SP2.

I notice on the forum today that someone else is complaining of similar crashes on opening Word 97 documents. Sounds like this is my problem, as the template opens a number of different Word 97 documents (some of which contain embedded pictures) then uses copy/paste to place them onto the blank base document created by the template. I will go through and open all the documents individually in Word, and see which (if any) might be causing the crashes.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Lyn:
    I'm not familiar with XP or 2002 (other than this is 2002, isn't it<g>). However, I seem to recall early on Word 2000 had problems with mso9.dll. This may be a long shot, but if there's a way in XP to check to see if the DLLs are corrupt, I'd look at that. In Win98SE, I could run msconfig to check. But XP???

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Lyn
    Just curious if you are driving this process from Word, or is it VBA running in Access? We've done a fair bit of the latter with no insurmountable problems, but haven't tried running the VBA in Word. I have however seen corrupt documents that would take down any version of Word, so that could well be your problem. If we can provide guidance or assistance, don't hesitate to ask.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

The template is entirely driven from Word, and uses DAO to link into data stored in an Access database - ie. no direct interface to access at all. I don't imagine linking to Access is the problem, as all the dialog-boxes render successfully (Access data is used to fill controls on the dialog boxes). It is only after the final document has been formed on screen that Word closes down. It always prompts for recovery and if you select this option the document is returned to you, completely intact.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It does sound as though you may have found some funny stuff going on in Word2002. We do something very similar, but drive the process from Access rather than Word as we need the results of some complex queries, and haven't experienced any problems. I guess in truth at least Jet is getting in the act if you are using DAO to get data out of Access, but you code would all be running in Word. If you aren't aware of it, MS has just released SP2 for Office XP, though there's apparently lots of grumbling about it. I took a quick look at the fix list for Word and didn't see anything that sounded like your situation, so you might wait until Woody gets a version of WOW out that takes a hard look at it.
    Wendell