New Lounger
    Thanks

Main dictionary filename (Word 2000)

Hi, If Mssp2_en.lex is the filename for English (US) main dictionary, what is the name for English (UK)?
    (I have lots of .lex files installed, and want to create an exclude dictionary.) Even Microsoft's site can't tell me.
    Please help.
    Thanks,
    Gill.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Main dictionary filename (Word 2000)

Gill,

The second section of this article tells how to determine the name for installed dictionary files for WD97 "The name and path of the main dictionary can be found using the RegOptions macro that is contained in the Support8.dot template" : MSKB 181641.

It may be the same for WD2000, but that second section does not exist in this article: MSKB #q211306

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Van:
    Do you know if it's the same for non-English? 1033 is the folder name in the path for U.S. English, but perhaps it might become obvious by looking in the registry where a different language is installed.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not sure. I don't have access to one of our machines that has the multi-language pack installed right now, but the file is most likely here: C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedProof and MSsp2BR.lex is most likely the UK english dictionary. 1033 contains a .dll file that I wouldn't touch. Look at the end of this article (where it talks about installation paths)Multilanguage pack FAQ

New Lounger
    Thanks

Van,
    Many thanks - I found the details in registry and got my exclude dictionary working for Word, which happened to be word 2002 installed as a test, with Word 2000 also installed.
    The interesting thing is that despite having Word as my e-mail editor - the exclude dictionary was not being picked up by Outlook for e-mails! Having de-installed Word 2002, both apps are now using it!
    I got a message this morning telling me my Outlook and Word versions did not match, which I knew - but Outlook crashes as a result. So there are obviously close links between Outlook 2002 and Word 2002, which don't work between Outlook 2002 and Word 2000.
    Thanks again - have to go do proper XP install now!
    Gill.