Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using Memo field selected from Logical field input (A2KSR1)

I have a county jail medical intake form with 38 Yes/No questions. If the answer is NO, there is no problem. It is in fact the default.

What I need to do is to generate an automatic opening of a memo field so the nurses can explain any Yes answers. The field needs to be mandatory, If the patient answers Yes there MUST be a note explaining what, when, how long, etc.

My problem is I have never worked with Memo fields. I do not know how to force the use of the field, and even more importantly, if there was a yes answer to more than one question, which is usually the case, to check to see if the nurse answered for each one of the problems. Due to the occasional need to write extensive notes a text field would not be large enough. I have the idea that there would be a text field for each question and when the entire form is completed all the text fields could/would then be combined, but the limit of 255 characters is a real problem as paragraphs are frequently needed to answer some questions.

I also need to be able to print out the memo field, with answers to the numerous questions. The answers would all be printed on a different form, basically a plain sheet of paper with letterhead information and lines drawn. I can handle the formatting part but not the coding to force the answers and the logic to recognize if something/anything, was typed in response to the Yes answers.

The information would only be kept until printed out and then deleted but I need some help. Any Ideas?

Jail Administrator Medical
    JAM

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using Memo field selected from Logical field input (A2KSR1)

You work with a memo field the same way you work with a text field. The only difference is that Access stores the information differently for a memo field than for a text field. I don't know how you are storing the information. I'm guessing you have a record with 39 yes/no fields on it? You would then need to define 39 memo fields. In your form's BeforeUpdate event, you need to cycle thru all the chkbox controls on the form to find any that are marked as True. For those that are, you need to check that there is a value in the memo field.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Why on earth do you want to use memo fields for this? If the explanations aren't too wordy, a 255 character text field should serve the purpose and will give you fewer problems over time, plus you can index them. The only practical way to do this with either memo fields or text fields is if they are in another table with nothing but the linking fields, a question number and the memo or text field in each record. There would be a one-to-many relationship between your survey table and the table with the explanations.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Would it be possible to use only one memo field and check to see if there is/was information entered? When all the information is entered I must then print it all out and would like to have all the different memo fields print on one or more sheets of paper.

When a typical drug addict, for instance, is brought into the jail they will have blood pressure problems, medications, psychiatric issues and frequently infections. All these fields would be 'tagged' and a note need be written for each one.

I would like to simplify the entry as much as possible for the staff, who will typically intake 50-90 people per shift, so they can simply mark the field yes, have the memo field open up and write the supporting data, close the memo field and go on to the next question. Cycling through all the questions and supplying all the data as needed. When done just hit print and have the cover sheet print, with the 'tagged' questions printing a "Y" and the untagged printing a "N". Then without any input from the staff it would need to print out the memo data consolidated on one form.

I hope I am making sense.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I wish I could get the information down to 255 characters but it often, one or two per shift, run to paragraphs. There is the potential for a page or more of data to support the Yes answer.

Jail Administrator Medical

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You could have 1 control for entry of memo data. Depending on which of the 38 Yes/No questions you were on, you could change the controlsource of that control to reflect the appropriate memo field. You would probably due this thru code in the OnEnter event of each of the Yes/No controls.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Even with a memo field you would be better off creating separate records for each notation.
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Do they need to tick all the boxes first, or do they write up the stuff as they go.

I was wondering if you could have a modal popup form that gets displayed whenever tickbox is set to yes.
    Put the code in the after update event.
    This form would display just one memo field. Perhaps you could write code to stop you closing this form if empty.
    To allow for errors, put on a cancel button that closes it empty, but sets the relevant yes field back to no.
    Regards
    John