Star Lounger
    Thanks

Forms and Subforms (Access 97)

I have a Books database, which contains a form that has a combo box from which I can chose an author

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Forms and Subforms (Access 97)

Recommend use combo box's On Enter event. Example:
    <pre>Private Sub Combo1_Enter()
    With Me.Combo1
    .SelStart = 0
    .SelLength = Len(.Text)
    End With
    End Sub
    </pre>

HTH

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your suggestion, but I am not totally confused. I added you code as suggested. When I put a breakpoint on the End With stm, the name in the combo box is selected. When I remove the breakpoint, and rerun, the name is not selected! Is there something going on I don't understand?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Seems to me that you don't need code. Set the Auto Expand property of the combo to yes and to select the combo, click on his label instead of the combo itself or use a shortcut key.
    Francois

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The problem here is:

(1) The OnEnter and OnGotFocus events are processed before the OnClick event.
    (2) The OnClick event is entirely processed by Access (or Windows), and not passed to VBA. You can test this by putting code in the OnClick event like Beep or MsgBox "Hello". Nothing happens. This is in contradiction with the help file. The standard action of clicking in a combo box is to place the insertion point where you click.

If you single-step the code, you momentarily see the text being selected, but if you click in the combo box after the code is finished, the selection is cancelled.
    If you just run the code, the text is being selected and deselected so fast (I suspect) that you don't even see it.

I don't know a solution for this, except suggesting your users not to click in the combo box, but to activate it by using the Tab key or by typing the shortcut key (if you have assigned one).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you everyone for your help. By clicking on the combo box caption, the current name is selected, and things work just fine. In fact, as Francois suggested, I don't need any code, just setting the AutoExpand to Yes does it.
    I did find, though, that MsgBox("Hello") in the Click event of the combo box was executed, even when I did NOT click the combo box. I am stilled puzzled by Access, but you solved the problem.
    Incidentally, in Access' Solutions Database "Using two subforms on a form", MS handles the problem by adding a Combo1=Null statement in the On Current event of the form. This erases the name immediately after you press enter. To keep the name you're working with on display, they add a text box to display the contents of the combo box. That seems a klutzy way to do it. With you help I was able to implement a much cleaner solution.