Thread: CD-RW Drive

Lounger
    Thanks

CD-RW Drive

I have an old HP8200 CD-RW Drive (4x) that is having trouble writing to a "high speed" CR-RW Disk (rated 4x to 12x). This disk has been formatted on another (faster) CD-RW drive, and when I try to write to it with the 8200 I get a message that " the disk is write protected". My guess is that the drive is incompatible with the newer faster disks. This disk works fine on my work PC with the faster (12x) CD-RW drive. The 8200 works with 2x-4x CD-RW disks. Has anyone seen this type of behavior before? I'm guessing I will need to replace the drive with something newer and faster.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD-RW Drive

I have seen/experienced this with some of the older drives out there. My perspective is that as cheap as CD-R media is, I don't bother with formatting re-writables. It's simply not time or cost effective. The likely reason you are encountering this is because of the difference in speed. You might give IsoBuster a try on the older machine - it can read many CDs that Windows simply balks on.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD-RW Drive

Thanks, that is what I expected was the case. Not only are CD media cheap, but the drives themselves are cheap. I am going to buy a new drive at Frys (for $40) that should do the trick. And I spent $180 for the HP drive a couple of years ago....

David