4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to Log in Best Way in Detail (Win XP Pro)

In past with trouble deleting folder (message in use finally got it through Explorer using the Windows Folder), I have been told to log in as another user "with administrator privileges" as in this past answer to a post:
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________
    Re: Cannot delete File From Desktop; Windows Folder XP

You have JUST found one of the MAJOR problems with always using the "Administrator" account as your prime account. This account is for system setup, major installs and recovering.

One should have and use as a prime account, with 'Admin' rights. This would allow you to go in to the system as the Administrator and perform these recovery and clean up actions. Now that you have locked the door you may need to do a complet CLEAN install of the OS and all programs.

What items have you been trying to delete and from where?

DAVE A

Windows Associate eXPert
    Moderator: For several of the boards, select "ModList" in the Lounge Menu
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________
    I want to do this correctly, and often read that you should allow yourself a "backdoor" in case anything goes wrong. I'm not sure exactly stepwise how to do this the best way because day in and day out I perform tasks that warn me I must be logged in as administrator; so I wonder if logging in
    "as someone else with administrative privileges" will allow me to do all those administrator only tasks. I understand I am being urged to do that, and
    one of the reasons given is often to leave a "back door" to get in in case anything goes wrong. I'm just not sure precisely what the best way is to do this, and wonder if one of the things going wrong would be a forgotten password.
    Currently, I am logged in as administrator. The guest account is "off." I imagine there could be multiple accounts, as in a family or group of people who shared a particular machine. I don't use a password, because I'm the only one ever on this machine, and when I had one before I had to put in the password everytime I booted up, and I wanted to eliminate that. Once I had to turn the Guest account off, in a previous load of XP,running the Beta, and I don't remember turning it on. I don't remember seeing that I can set up the Guest account "as somebody else WITH ADMINISTRATOR PRIVILEGES" so is that the place to do that and how do I do this? Do I have to password protect either of these two accounts when they are set up? Are the steps meant by those urging me to log in as someone else with administrator privileges performed at the Guest Account, and what's the password role if any (i.e. is it mandatory or 'best practice')?

Thanks,

defrag

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: How to Log in Best Way in Detail (Win XP Pro)

Defrag,
    My method of doing this is as follows.
    Give the Administrator account a good password.
    Set up a day to day users account, with or with out a password. (Admin premissions)
    Set up a second account for your back door, with password (Admin premissions), on the machine that I support for other people I create an account for my self which is passworded and gives me a account in which to fix their machine when they have messed up all of the accounts.
    Set up any and all other required accounts with or with out passwords. These can be "Admin" premissions or "Limited" types.

You should now be able to use any of the "Admin premissions" accounts to fix any othe account. remember you will not be able to use "Swithch User" since this will not log out the in use account. You would need to log put and then log in as the other user.

The "Guest account " is not what a lot of people think it is. It is an account that will allow an networked computer into your machine, with out having the same user account and password that is on the other machine. To share a printer on a XP machine to a Windows 98, Me machine the "Guest account " needs to be turned on.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

This is good information, Dave. I would like to be a little clearer on a point or two:
    <hr>Set up a day to day users account, with or with out a password. (Admin premissions)
    Set up a second account for your back door, with password (Admin premissions), on the machine that I support for other people I create an account for my self which is passworded and gives me a account in which to fix their machine when they have messed up all of the accounts.<hr>
    The day-to-day account...is this your account you would use normally in regular daily activity? And the second account......what makes it a 'back door' ? Is it just another day-to-day account that you don't regularly use? I guess I am asking, if you would please, to clarify the above quote as it lost me on the last half. Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It is the key that you put under the door mat or the rock near the door. If your files are in use, you can NOT delete, move or change them. But if you have another Admin account, you can change these files while you are another user with admin permissions. I have seen accounts messed up and had to be repaired by another account. Do NOT put all of your eggs in one basket.

Thanks

Right, Dave, I dig what you are saying. What is confusing me is this third account you are creating. Isn't the second account, the daily user account, a back door?

There is the Master Admin account, then I have the user account that I use daily w/ admin permissions. Are you suggesting a third account being a second daily account??

Super Moderator
    Thanks

On a home system the only way to get to the Admin account is to do a "Safe boot".