New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel Hanging (Office XP Professional 2002)

I have 4 users pulling excel spreadsheets off of a W2k server on a shared network drive. 3 of the users running XP pro & Office XP 2002, I user running W2k pro & office 2000. Excel hangs on of the XP users when closing spreadsheets. This is an occasional problem. She can open & close several spreadsheets without a problem Then one will hang. It will close in about 30 seconds if you leave it alone. The next spreadsheet will open & close fine. The other 3 users do not have this problem. I ran the office repair tool & it hung, would not run so I reinstalled office. No change. I uninstalled & reinstalled no change. I unintslled & reinstalled TCPIP no change. I reinstalled XP Pro No change. The only way I get any messages in the Desktop event log is if I end task while it is hung. I get the following msg
    Event ID 1002
    Hanging application excel.exe, version 10.0.2614.0, hang module hungapp version 0.0.0.0
    There are no logged events for this in the server event log. I have been unable to find any referce to this on technet or the knowledge base. This is a recent problem for this one user with no hardware software changes.
    Any Help would be appreciated.

Pat

Thanks

Re: Excel Hanging (Office XP Professional 2002)

Is it really hung or is it just SLOOOOOW, transfer via the network. I have several shared workbooks that take forever to open and also to save (30 sec to 1 min) and in that time excel is unavailable completely. With patience, it finally finishes.

I don't know if it is totally network or some of the virus protection software running through our network. Our computer people say we just have to live with it or make smaller files (the worst is almost 4 meg in size)

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

Good question, these files are only between 35k & 100k. Only one out of 4 users has this problem and for her is intermittent. It will eventaully go through if you don't end task on it, but task manager shows Excel as not responding until it goes through. Although the user states it "takes forever at least 15 minutes" actual time is around 30 seconds.

Thanks

My task manager also shows "not responding" and if you click to another program, that works, but when you try to look at excel it will not show anything.

Minutes can feel like forever. I think it is a transfer issue. When I save the "status indicator" goes quickly to 95-99% complete, and then takes "forever" (30 - 60 s) to go the last bit of time.

New Lounger
    Thanks

If it's a servernetwork issue I can't find it. Connectivity & trusts are fine, no other users are having the problem. Seems like a desktop issue. 30 seconds is a long time for someone who is constanly switching back & forth between spreadsheets. Are your spreadsheets password protected andor linked to other spreadsheets?

Thanks

The main one (4 meg) Spreadsheet is password protected and there are lots of links WITHIN the spreadsheet. It has an index page to take you to the various worksheets (there are close to 300). It needs a major overall and redesign to pare its size, but I inherited the design and so far it is easier to live with the design flaws than to revamp.

I only have the problem opening and saving. It does not happen when closing since if it is not being edited it is
    opened read-only. It does not happen when switching between open spreadsheets, which makes me think (at least with my problem) that it is transfer. It is also on all our machines.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I would start off changing settings of the AV program. NAV has an office plug in that can be switched off. Maybe others have that too. Check out their website for FAQ's, this should be one of them, I've seen it passing by often enough.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I understand that the problem is with the XP, is correct?.
    Try this:
    1. Open your worksheet in the PC that it has installed the XP.
    2. Then use

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Jan ,
    Searching Symantec's knowledge base I found Document ID 2002042314030648, which referred to the slow closing of Excel files on a Windows XP desktop when running NAV Corp Edit 7.6, which referred me back to Microsoft Knowledge base article Q309376 which has a patch for Xp pro, which worked. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I had not made the connection to NAV.