Thread: Word 2000

jrm75961

Word 2000

Is there a way to see the hidden code that is behind the command like underline or bold like there is in WordPerfect?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2000

The closest we have is the "What's This" on the help menu. Activate it and then click on the word in question.
    Karen

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I know what you're talking about. But, unfortunately, I don't know of a way to see those codes in Word. You can show paragraph marks, page breaks, spaces, and tabs by turning on the option under Tools Options View, Formatting Marks and checking All. Or, there's a paragraph symbol on the Standard toolbar. If you click that you can see the above.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

And isn't it Word's way to use character styles for that purpose rather than actually direct formatting with bold and underlining? With character style applied, you would be able to click in the text with those attributes and see the name of the character style applied in the Style Window on the Formatting toolbar which would be a different name than the paragraph style name identified in the Styles Area Window that can be turned on in Normal View.

Thanks

You might want to look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm>Does Word Have Reveal Codes?</A> (www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/)

or
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/ec/reveal/reveal.htm>Life After Reveal Codes</A> (Microsoft White Paper)
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

From what I can tell, there is no hidden code to turn on bold and turn it off again. If you create a tiny Word document that says something like this -

This sentence is in normal font. This is a bold sentence. This one is italicized. This is plain.

- save it and open it in notepad, you will see that Word's document format does not place the formatting into the text. Instead, it is stored somewhere else using a proprietary system of pointers.

I was forced to switch from WP5.1 to WinWord 2.0 in 1993, and even now I imagine that there are times I could use Reveal Codes...but not very often.