New Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2000 (Access 2000 and windows 2000)

I currently manage several multiple user access 2000 databases on a Windows 2000 platform. The database backends are stored on a local NT 4 server with each user having their own front end on their own PC.

The databases were converted from access 97 several months ago. Since the conversion one of the databases consistently corrupts. Either a single record is lost with the line in the table showing as random characters or the backend becomes corrupted. These problems occur about twice a week.

I believe the single records are being corrupted when two different users try to update the same record at the same time. The backend appears to be corrupted as the connection to it from one of the front ends is being lost.

The HP PCs which were installed at the same time as the databases were converted have a tendency to turn off for no reason and we are unsure if this is a hardware or software problem. I believe this may be the cause of the backend corrupting.

Are they any suggestions to what might be causing the above two problems and how I can stop them from occurring in the future?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

David

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 2000 (Access 2000 and windows 2000)

You might try setting the RecordLocking property of queries and/or forms to record-level locking instead of none. If one user is editing a record, others can only view it, but not edit it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In addition to Hans' suggestion, you might also want to check the version of the back-end that keeps corrupting, presuming that it is still an Access database. We saw some corruption issues when we were doing a conversion and kept the back-end in 97 but were running a 2000 front-end. Another possibility is that the database isn't ever fully repairing when it corrupts. You might try importing all of the tables into a new empty database.

Your flakey PCs do sound like a possible source of corruption - Access does deal very well with that - but the fact that only one of the databases is corrupting seems to suggest that there may be another cause. On the other hand, if you can track it directly to a PC shutdown, then that's pretty conclusive. I should also add that SQL Server is pretty robust in this situation - in 8 years of running SQL Server back-ends, I've only seen one corruption, and that was caused by messing with the disk structure of the RAID disk farm on the server. As to your PCs shutting down, you might look and see what power management software is running. I've seen that cause problems with databases occasionally. If there are a couple of prime suspects, try shutting off the power management stuff completely and see if things get better. Good luck.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the advice

David