Thread: New Zone Alarm

Thanks

New Zone Alarm

A week or two ago Zone Alarm (the free version) popped up a message telling me that I should download an important new upgrade, which I dutifully did. It seems to me that the new version is fairly troublesome. It seems to eat up a lot more system resources, and sometimes the only way I can get Outlook to download my emails, none of which turn out to be anything out of the ordinary, is to turn Zone Alarm off first. (I'm not using its email virus protection feature anyway, as Norton seems to deal with that well enough.) Am I the only one having trouble with it? I'm tempted to go back to the previous version again if I can find it.

Ian

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New Zone Alarm

On the average, about 50% of the people like the new ZA free version. The interface is "new" (albeit, it is now similar to the "pro" version) -- and many people find it to NOT be very intuitive. The 'resource' issue has been a big problem -- mostly for Win9x users. The email problem you describe is unique -- if you have turned off "Mail Safe", then I am not sure how ZA is interfering. The biggest issue for many users is the the Mail Safe feature in the "NEW" version strips away the email protection that you had in the old version.

The old version of ZA free (2.6.x) protected you against 37 different file extensions. The "new" version ONLY protects you against .vbs files -- ONE file type! To me, this is a rip off and a ludicrous move on the part of Zone Labs.

Thanks

It sounds to me as though I would be better to go back to the previous version. I may still have the installation file on my PC. If I don't, do you know where I can get it?

Ian

Thanks

Fortunately, the installation file was still lurking on my hard disk, so I was able to re-install it.

Ian

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    If anyone wants an older version, I can make it available on my website. At the moment the link just points to the Zone Labs page, but it is easy to also include a link to a zip.
    Rgds

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry. I don't know if there is a place to re-download the older version.