New Lounger
    Thanks

My Netscape / Netscape Web Mail Sign On Loop (Nets

I recently downloaded Netscape 7 after using Netscape 6.2.3 for a couple of weeks. I found it a better for browsing and printing. I regularly use Netscape 4.76 for Email and browsing from the office, so now I have both installed.

My problem is that there is some kind of ERROR and/or LOOP when I try to access My Netscape and then sign in to get my personal page. The same thing occurs if I try to access my Netscape Web Mail account. The Sign In process tries to fill in my Screen Name and Password three times and then comes up with an ERROR panel. Then we go around again.

I have sent numerous notes to their Screen Name Sign In help, but all I get back is an automated reply asking me to look it up in their FAQs. Of course, my problem isn't there.

NOTE that I had no problem with that with Netscape 6.2.3 and I can (and have to) bring up Netscape 4.76 and I can manually sign in with no problem whatsoever.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is there something I did or didn't do in the install of Netscape 7.01PR (over Netscape 6.2.3) that I need to do or undo?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: My Netscape / Netscape Web Mail Sign On Loop (

Mike, I don't have the answer to your question but if you go to the newsgroup: secnews.netscape.com and subscribe to n.n.windows, you can post your question. This is a newsgroup specifically for Netscape 7PR. The final version of Netscape 7.0 is due out in a few weeks, if not sooner.
    LibbieL

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, but please bear with me. I haven't the foggiest idea what you are talking about. I don't know anything about newsgroups, much less how I would go about posting something there. Could you please spell it out for this idiot, step by excruciating step? Failing that, give me some clue as to how to get there? I can't find anything about it in the NS7 doc from when I downloaded it. Again, many thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not an expert by any means in newsgroups. I did a search on Google for the newsgroup secnews. Then click on the one that describes it best. I think the header is secnews or Netscape 7. (You should have a newsgroup account in Netscape; check your mail and newsgroup account for a server that is supplied by your ISP). Then when the newsgroups open in your Newsgroup account, search for n.n.windows (this is the newsgroup for Netscape7). Subscribe to it and you will then see it listed in your mail window. Double click it and the messages will download. You can post your questions and hopefully get an answer. Please, anyone with more explicit instructions for Mike, please jump in.
    LibbieL

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mike, when you get the results for the Google search, be sure to check the one Netscape 7. It will give you this information:
    While in the Mail/News component, go to 'Edit | Mail/News Account Settings...' Click on the 'Server' category under the secure server account you added (in the left pane). Check the box for "Use secure connection (SSL)" and be sure to set the port to be 563. Click the "OK" button. You should now be able to retrieve the newsgroup list and subscribe to newsgroups on that server.

It is the Nugnet FAQ (an unoffical group that helps people with Netscape.)
    LibbieL

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for both of your answers. I haven't had a chance to follow through and probably won't today, but at least I know where to start.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Got it working, finally! Thanks for the "clue".
    Even though my settings are correct, I still was not able to see anything on the newsgroup, but it got me into looking at the Edit menu and thence into the Password Manager.
    For those who want the "gory details" ......
    Here is where the problem turned out to be. I had multiple username/password combos stored there -- same password but the username was my name all in lower case vs. capitalized -- mikebrumberg vs. MikeBrumberg. (Either one works fine by themselves.) This is what apparently caused the loop and eventual ERROR in the screenname process. Once I eliminated one set, I went to Navigator and was able to Sign On to My Netscape and get in/out of it and Netscape Web Mail.
    Thanks again.