3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table Style (98, 2000, 2002)

I'm looking for a technique to standardize table format - column width, especially. While editing documents from several sources, the tables all need to be alike. I'd like to use the format painter, a style or some method other than manually tweaking each setting for each table. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table Style (98, 2000, 2002)

Word provides a series of AutoFormats for tables; you can set some options to customize them. If there is an AutoFormat you like, you can record a macro that applies this AutoFormat with the desired options to a table or all tables in a document.

If you don't like the AutoFormats, you might have a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....TableStyles.asp.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Personally, I find that using any Office autoformatting tends to bloat file size.

I used to work as a desktop publisher. I'd receive the text from several writers. I trained them all to use shortcut keys for the headings, but they all still gave me different table setups. Some shaded X%, some Y%, etc.

I recorded myself a macro that:
    (Assuming cursor is inside table when macro is run)
    Table-Select table
    Do whatever formatting I wanted to the text.
    Formatted paragraph 3 pts before and after for nice white space.
    Set the rows NOT to break across pages.
    Set the first row to be a heading and X% shade (there's a shortcut key that gets you to the first cell in a table--I forget what it is)
    etc....

Perhaps you could give it a try? How to record a macro:
    http://www.thewordexpert.com/wordvba...ToRecordAMacro

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ena:
    I see everyone has their own way. Mine is to use autotext. Format 2 rows with as many columns as you need & format all the cells, etc. I use 2 rows because my first row is a header row & has different formatting than subsequent rows. Then I save each of my tables as autotext. I use t2, t3, t4, etc. for 2, 3, & 4 column tables respectively. You can have all the table formats you need & it's faster than using Autoformat (IMHO).
    Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, folks. I'll play with all the things you suggested. One of the methods should solve my problem and I'll probably learn something from each.
    ENA