Retha

Word 2000 - pagination problem

Word 2000 document contained headings that used outline numbering

Heading 3
    Heading 4
    Heading 5
    The paragraph at this point looked fine until you did a

print preview - you ended up with 2 or 3 spaces between the new text. I looked at everything - spacing above and below, the style - normal had exactly 18pt applied to it. Tried finding an object, no go.

It was pretty consistent, every time you had
    heading 3
    heading 4
    heading 5
    Normal - then this line would appear in file print preview

like this.

Any suggestions?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2000 - pagination problem

I tried to replicate what you described but everything was as you would expect.

Could you upload a sample of the problem document from your system so that maybe some loungers might take a look.

Andrew C

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Retha:

Do you have show/hide turned on (i.e. Tools/Options/View/Formatting Marks/All). Does anything show up--even empty paragraph marks?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just a wild guess but her example, if I've interpreted it properly, triggered me to wonder if her "Normal" style had somehow been modified to be double or triple spaced since it is spacing between the internal lines of the last line Normal paragraph.

BAM

Hi Retha,

Any chance that you are working in Normal View? This isn't a true WYSIWYG view. If you are, switch to View/Print Layout and see if that gives you the same result as Print Preview.

If so, then take a look in File/Page Setup and on the Layout tab see if you have Justified in Vertical Alignment.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Retha

The document was created in Word 2000. The author has Word 2000; however, not sure if he opened it in Word97 and saved or what.

The original normal style had "at least 18 points" for a line spacing. In addition, there is an odd heading 4 style.

When I do a file print preview and a print of this file, it appears like this:

Subjects......

Visit 3 on Day -1......

Driving me bonkers!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Attached find a copy of your file with the problem erased.

I just copied the text to a new document (Paste Special, Unformatted text) and applied the numbering.

I don't know why your document behaves the way it does, its probably something to with the style set up.

Anyway in the meantime the attached may be of some use.

regards,

Andrew C
    Attached Files Attached Files

Retha

Andrew, this worked. Author is happy, I am happy. Appreciate your help!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This may also help.

This appears to be an incompatibility with Word 2000. One day I will install Word 2K if I can ever clean up the C-drive.

You appear to be viewing the doc in Normal View. Switch to Page Layout and then turn on view text boundaries ( Tools/Options/view tab & check Text Boundaries box).
    You will see, in the sample supplied, 2 text areas outlined. There probably was a graphic inserted within the paragraph. Or perhaps a custom style! Are there any graphics in the original document?

This is confirmed by doing this:
    Tools/Options/Print tab and uncheck Drawing Objects. The sample doc should print the way you woud ike to see it, but in Page Layout view it still will have the blank space between the lines.
    Remember to restore the Drawing Objects check box or other documents may not print properly.

If you need to normally work on the doc & don't want the extra space, it must be rebuil as Andrew explained.

Bob_D