New Lounger
    Thanks

Selecting text

When I select text in various documents (Word, Outlook Express, etc.), I often have trouble in making the selection stick. What I mean is that after clicking at the beginning of the desired text and dragging until the end, when I release the mouse switch, the selection highlighting disappears. This happens wheher I start at the top of the text or at the bottom, so I have to repeat this many times before the selecting highlight sticks. This has happened over the years even with various software and Windows updates. Is there some kind of rule built into Windows that has to be followed in order to make selecting stick on the first attempt?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Selecting text

You are probably just having a dexterity incompatibility with your mouse defaults. Go into your mouse control panel, or other mouse configuration software and play with the various click adjustments and see if you can get it set to work with your natural hand movements.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

why not use the keyboard? hold shift and move using the arrows, page up and down and home and end.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Or, alternatively to the shift key, press F8 and then use the arrow keys.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've seen this behavior with a variety of mice on multiple machines. I'm convinced that it is a mouse/Windows issue and not something the users are actually doing. I even have this problem occasionally with my optical mouse.

You can sometimes see what appears to be a related problem when you click on a file to launch it and press the shift key to suppress any startup macros. Once in awhile, you'll launch every file in the window rather than just the one you thought you had selected.
    Charlotte

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Is this a wheel mouse with a wheel that can be pushed to click? If so, it sounds like the wheel is getting clicked, and whatever it is set to do is messing up the selection. I have had similar problems until I disabled the wheel click on my mouse. If you have this type of mouse, go to the control panel for your mouse and set the action for a wheel click to "none".
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have sometimes experienced the same behaviour due to sticking keys. Keys like <Ctrl>, <Shift> or <Alt> stay stuck due to frequent use and cause this behaviour. I try to operate the keys without any purpose which causes them to be released. Then the selection process goes ahead without any hitch.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I, too, have the exact same symptoms. It used to aggravate me. Now, I habitually go to one end of the selection, click it, then go to the other end and do a 'Shift-Click'. That seems to always work.

BTW, I've seen this happen in Lotus Notes as well MS Word, so I think it may be a 'Mouse/Windows' issue instead of just an Office issue.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I want to thank the several people who replied to my post. All of the suggestions were good and I will follow thru on them. Apparently my problem was not unique but at least now it is under control. Thanks again.

Ernie