Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Howie's Quick Screen Capture

Chris, I hope you'll pardon me being naive, but what's wrong with Print Screen (or alt-PrtScr)? I've seen Lounge'ers talking about screen capture programs in other threads and wondered what I must be ill informed about. By the way, that guy's got a neat web site with a ton of screensavers. I think I'll go back and try one or two. I usually shy away from them for possible crash problems, but this guy is tempting me!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The pictures you capture with PrintScreen or Alt+PrintScreen can be pretty big. Screen capture programs usually give you a range of options.
    <UL><LI>Apart from grabbing the whole screen or active window, they let you grab the active object, or any part of the screen (by drawing a rectangle or other shape).
    <LI>Include/exclude the mouse cursor in the picture.
    <LI>Optionally select optimum color depth of the grabbed picture. If you have your screen set to 32-bit color, every pixel takes 32 bits. But if the part of the screen you capture contains just 4 colors, those can be stored using 2 bits per pixel. This may dramatically reduce the size of the captured picture.[/list]Depending on the actual screen capture program, you may get all kinds of other handy options.

Thanks

As mentioned in this thread, for some reason the 'native' PrntScrn does not result in the same quality when saved as a gif from PhotoEditor. It may be the cheapest solution, but is certainly not the best.
    I find the convenience of Hardcopy unbeatable - click on PrntScrn and cross-hairs come up to select any or all of the screen, including some drop-down boxes which are not always captured. And adding mouse pointers, circles etc. to the image is just a few clicks away.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Let me not waste "bandwidth" and reply to both Hans and Leif: THANK YOU. I didn't realize how ill informed I've been. So, now I've got to go try Crhis's program, or.....

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Howie's Quick Screen Capture

ScreenCp.exe from Howie's Funware is my favourite screen capture program at the moment.

I've used it to capture fullscreen images of the visualizations generated by WinAmp, so I could use them as desktop wallpaper.

Edited later to add

I forgot to mention, it does sequential file number on the captures... very handy when grabbing many screen shots.

The nicest thing about this program, it's free!
    Christopher Baldrey