New Lounger
    Thanks

Older docs crash Word XP (2002)

I'm running into a lot of older documents (not sure what version created them) that open fine in Word 97 & 2000 or even Wordpad, but crash Word 2002. There's an example here:

http://www.zmm.com/readonly/wordcrash.htm

Any suggestions?

Hyperlinks added- Mod

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Older docs crash Word XP (2002)

I posted something similar earlier this week. My problem is an Office 97 template that inserts a number of documents to build up a final document of between 30 and 60 pages. 9 times out of 10 the template runs right to the end (ie. builds up the entire document) but crashes just before repagination. This is happening on PCs using WinXP and Office XP SP2. The template runs fine under both Office 97 and Office 2000. Given that your problem relates to documents, not running temlates, I think I'll go through and try opening all the documents that get inserted, to see if any one of them is causing the problem.

Hopefully we can both get an answer to this one.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe:
    Although I'm not familiar with Word 2002, crashes are hard to track down, as there are so many things that can cause conflicts. Do you have any add-ins that run for Word 2002 that don't in other versions? Search your hard drive for startup folders (there's one for Word & one for Office in earlier versions). See if there's anything in these. If so, take everything out & see if you still have the conflict. Then add things back, one at a time.

You could also try running a repair (I know e.g. Word 2000 had that option).

Also, take a look in normal.dot (or any other template in a startup folder & see what macros are running, especially any AutoExec macros. If I have time, I'll try & track down something on the MS knowledge base.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not running any macros or add ins, just a typical install of Office XP. I have about 30 machines available to me, I haven't tried them all, but so far every Word 2000 machine that I've tried will open this file with no errors and every XP machine produces the error.

As I see it, there are two possibilities:
    1. There's something wrong with all my Office XP systems.
    2. There's something in these documents that XP just chokes on.

Any Word XP users successfully open my sample? (You can email me directly if you have security concerns.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For whatever it's worth, your Test.doc file opened successfully on my machine. I'm running Word2002 SP2 with WinXP Home on this machine. I'm not sure if it ran any events you might have incorporated, however.

-Lenny

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well there you go ... my machines were unpatched. Installing the service packs eliminates the error on my machine as well. I wonder if this was covered in one of the WOWs that I skimmed all too quickly.