3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Menu in IE not showing (IE 5.50 on NT 4.0)

Our office is about 300 people strong. All computers are identicle in setup (supposed to be). On about 8 of these computers the menu developed with Java scripting does not show up when accessing our local INTRANET. A side by side comparison was done with a computer that works with one that does not. All that appears is an empty box with a little red "x" in the corner. The side by side checked for plugins -security certificates and other pesky things that came to mind. We saw nothing different that would explain why the menu would not show. I don't know if there is anytng else I can explain on this issue other than on one of the computers the menu used to show up and just recently stopped. Can anyone help me with this issue. Sorry about the limited information as I am not sure where else to turn.

Thank You
    Kevin
    Kevin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Menu in IE not showing (IE 5.50 on NT 4.0)

Do you have the Java engine from Sun or the VM from MS installed on the machines that are not working?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Mmmm... JavaScript (e.g., <SCRIPT Language="JavaScript"> etc.) or a Java applet (<APPLET>)?

If the former, and these are the type of menus where you mouse over and it drops down, I sometimes find it necessary to refresh the page. If nothing good happens, I would suspect something about the security settings. Do the problem browsers show Intranet Zone in the lower right? Is Active Scripting enabled in the Intranet zone? Is there a script error yellow triangle in the lower left corner?

Lounger
    Thanks

Kevin, did you ever get this resolved? I have the same problem and can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks

One reason our local intranet sometimes becomes unavailable is that the server's real name is not intranet. Instead, we set up a mapping in WINS between the word intranet and the real server name for the users' convenience. It is really convenient except when it doesn't work. But usually that is all-or-nothing. The only way it could be relevant to your site is if the menu script refers to some folder not on the production server and some users are able and other users are unable to resolve the address. Doesn't sound that likely.

So... can you describe the problem in more detail? For example, is the menu in a table column, a DIV, or in an IFRAME? Do images show until you mouse over or do they never show?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for replying. My problem is that portions of the page (I believe they are generated via Javascript) are not displayed. For example, if you go to www.download.com you will see three featured downloads at the top of the page. Each has a green button that says "Download Now". My problem is that all I see is a grey rectangle and clicking on it does nothing.

I've tried disabling my software firewall entirely. I've changed the security settings for internet and intranet in the browser to the default. I've also tried updating Java using Sun's on-line tool. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

The contents of those three boxes do not appear to be generated by any kind of script. Here's what I see for the critical parts of the first one:

Product:
    SpyHunter 1.1.30
    Link address:
    http://adlog.com.com/adlog/... (goes on for a long time) ...site=4/http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10209093.html
    GIF image location for the download button:
    http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/Ads/common/LaunchpadLinks/cnet/sm_dl_green.gif

The other two use similar URLs. Do you have any "ad blocking" software that might be keying off the "ad" in these addresses and blocking them?

Lounger
    Thanks

It was my Norton Internet Security settings. The "Ad Blocker" blocks more than just ads! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.