Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installer wants to run - erroneously (Outlook 2000)

Running Office 2000 on a WINXP Pro platform. Scenario: System is left on because it has a shared data drive on it. I leave it on with no programs active. No one comes into my office to 'touch' my system. The next day (or after lunch, etc.) I come in and start Outlook. The system starts up an Installer for Outlook which I cancel out of (no easy feat). If I start up IE, it starts using MSN as the home page (but I use a Lycos portal). It seems like XP has 'forgotten' something like either which programs are already installed and/or my logon identity. If I logoff and logon again, everything is ok (same with rebooting). There are no other logons defined for my system (its only used by me). This can happened when I come back from home, lunch or a meeting and seems to be happening more frequently. Any ideas on how to stop this bizarre behavior (the system's, not mine)?

TIA

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Installer wants to run - erroneously (Outlook 2000)

are you using an admin account on the computer?

i suspect the outlook probelm is the phantom installer issue and usally installing something will fix it. it drove me nuts for a few days, then i installed something and it fixed it. not sure why the home page is getting reset, unless it's the installer doing it during the OL 'reinstall'.

i think there is a kb about the installer problem - i think it's for project, but the solution should be portable to outlook or other programs that cause the installer ot come up.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is built-in admin account which I do not use. My account is defined as belonging to the adminstrators group.

I have not been able to locate any information in a kb or this board about a phantom installer problem (probably not using the 'right' search key). I used the Office CD's to install some new features but that either did not help, or the problem came back anyway.

The latest wrinkle is when I tried to use Word's Envelope feature. It gave me a message saying that feature was not installed, do I want to install it. The first time, I answered YES and the system said it couldn't because the installer was busy. The second time, I answered NO and the envelope feature worked anyway.

The 'installer busy' message makes me think your suspicions are right, but I need help finding out more about the phantom installer issues. I have found all kinds of installer, reinstall, installation, etc. articles, but none that sound like my phantom installer problem. Got a good search key for me?

TIA

New Lounger
    Thanks

Rob, do some further research on this problem. I do not have a solution, but the research is interesting and may lead someone to a final solution. When this happens, do a quick check of the other MS Office products. Open word or Excel. See if the RECENT FILE list of activated files looks correct. What we discovered was happening is that something in the system is loosing track of who you are, and dropping back to the DEFAULT USER profile on the machine...and whatever settings it may have. We noticed the problem would also result in any LAN based printers that were installed by the user (vs the locally installed printers by the administrator account), would also go away (ie, the default user profile had no printers defined). I had users come up with the "defualt user" idea because some of them would loose their specially defined button bars inside Office applications. So far the only resolution to this mess seems to be a reload...of the operating system! We use corporate images, and have found that rebuilding the machine clears this. Otherwise it is hit or miss when/where it occurs. The KB has been no help to us either.