Nearly everyone learns early on to go on the IE6 or IE5x toolbar to Tools>Options>
Temporary Internet Files>Delete Files. If I'm browsing for a few hours, I do it depending on how many URL's I hit. I also have found you can find another and different temporary file folder that can really mount up--on some machines I have seen it in the thousands because it's never been cleaned by going to the command line and putting in "%temp%. If you have several hundred or a thousand files, I'm sure it helps performance to get rid of those.
1) When you are deleting files in Internet Options, you also have the chance to delete "off line files." If you haven't been working off line, should you do that anyway--does it matter?
2) What is the function and significance of the "other" temporary file folder, the one that had
over a thousand files in it that I cleaned by bringing it up from the command line?
3) Are there others I should be hitting? 4) Why does cleaning both of those improve
performance--less files to see when they are searched? Is there a connection to the
Page File or retrieval mechanism when browsing? Will it affect application running?
5) I have also seen people delete temporary files from the Windows Explorer interface--is this the same temporary file "stash" that I bring up from the command line with "%temp%?
What does % mean as part of a command and is it useful other times? I know these are basic but understanding the why makes me a better user. Some files Windows will not let you delete, and I'm sure for good reason (I mean from that temporary folder not say hidden important or crucial files from the Windows folder).

Thanks,

defrag