I am still looking for a utility that will display every single file and folder of inherent Windows applications in a neat list. I have found that I can do a search in the registry under
H_Key_Local_Machine under Install or Uninstall and display quite a number of files.
I also found that if you want to search a CD--for example the Windows XP CD ROM, you
can put in the CD Rom--it works with other CD's audio or ROM and go to the command line
and put in "*.*, you can get a list of files on the CD ROM that is more extensive then you
will see from just putting in the CD ROM, enabling all the Show Hidden Files and Folders
and Show Hidden Windows Folders and doing an "Advanced Search." What is the
significance of the *.* in the command line--I mean what does that stand for or mean
in dos, and are there other search tricks besides these two for showing files or utilities.
I understand from a previous post that certain "intrinsic to the OS" utilities can have
several file path names attached to them, but where do you find this out? I am trying to "fix" Disk Clean Up--so I wanted to find its file(s )or folder(s) thinking if I knew their names I might pull it or them from the XP CD ROM and replace it. I noticed that it will not run on my full "C"
Drive--and I know that is a function of its being full. It will run on my less full "D" Drive where
I right click moved "My Documents (only 3 GB). It says there are no files to clean there. I did take Mark's suggestion and gave it six hours over night to compress and it still wouldn't move from the progress bar frozen one fifth of the way to the end.
I am trying to understand why these two mechanisms work to display a huge number of
files or file paths, and what the significance of the *.* is as a search "trick" to reveal files on
a CD or CD ROM and I suppose on a DVD also. I tried to run SFC/ScanNow to fix Disk
Cleanup and it wouldn't run--said I had the wrong CD which I don't. I understand that
Disk Cleanup may not be "broken" but that it will run if my C Drive is less full, but theoretically
since it is a Disk Cleanup I would think size wouldn't matter.