Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

slow opening menu boxes

[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]Win95/Word97SR-2 problem: Word is slow to open a document and then after it opens, if I want to change the formating, the dialog box is slow to open. Once I am able to open everything the first time, it seems to respond more quickly after that but I am wondering what I need to check.

I've run HouseCall virus scan so the computer is clean. I don't have macros running. I am on a network, but I am opening documents from a floppy disk or my hard drive. I have done all the usual maintenance stuff/defrag, delete .tmp and internet files, etc. I don't have much running in the background. Resourses usually above 60%.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: slow opening menu boxes

Try moving the document from the A: drive disk to the hard drive and see if you get a faster performance. I have found that working from an A: drive is sometimes very slow.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Skitterbug:

In addition to what Pam said (I NEVER work directly on a floppy--it's much faster to copy to the hard drive, make your changes, & copy back to a
    1. Go to the control panel/Find Fast & turn it off.
    2. Open Outlook & turn off Journalling.

Hope this helps.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is Fast Find the same little nasty gremlin that Office loads into the StartUp folder that says "Microsoft Office" and has the little flag icon? It works the hard drive constantly right? And everytime we do a patch or anything, it comes right back like a boomer rang. GRRRRRR[img]/w3timages/icons/aflame.gif[/img]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is also safer to not process a file on a floppy.
    If the floppy is removed at the wrong time the doc can become corrupt. I haved always told people that if they must use a floppy, close Word before removing the diskette.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Pam:

I got rid of it so long ago that I can't remember the icon. But I recall that there were 2 icons that I got out of my startup folder--FindFast & another that is supposed to load office products faster the first time (by pre-loading certain shared items into memory). I disabled both.

Actaully, I took everything out of startup & reboot with the absolute minimum. I then have a batch file to run some programs before I go online--otherwise I keep just about everything off. I even turn off my antivirus before playing games (when's the last time you ever heard of a virus attacking a bridge game?[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Tks for the replies. I have tried working the document from the HD but it doesn't help. This problem even happens when I open a new document and try using the format dialog box.

I made an error on my first post however. I thought the macros had been disabled but they aren't. Since we have had some virus problems (clean machine now), could it be that the AutoOpen macro has been overwritten? I don't know a lot about macros as I don't use them intentionally.

Is it safe to just delete the macros that are associated with MS Word? And how would one go about doing that?

TIA

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: slow opening / Macro Editing

Maybe before deleting any macros you should rename any AutoOpen or other event type macros, or put a ' in front of all the code statements and see if that makes any difference. You can edit Macros, provided they are not protected, by pressing Alt-F11, which launches the Visual Basic Editor.

You mentioned you were on a Network but did not say if your Word application is installed on your local machine or on the Network. It might be worth exploring that as well.

Regards,

AC

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm, the mention of macros makes me wonder what type of virus protection might be in place. Could it be that it is set to scan files on open? Also, since it is File|New that is sluggish too I'm wondering if any of the File|Locations paths have been set to the network for backup of user info/templates and sharing of workgroup templates? That made a difference in how our machines hesitated on opening File|New.

It also caused a few of them to bluescreen -- they were Win98s.

Just thoughts.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Skitterbug:

If you haven't worked with macros & you haven't made a customizations to your normal.dot (template styles, toolbars, Autotext), you could just close Word, do a search for normal.dot & rename it to normalold.dot. Then open Word & it will recreate it's own normal.dot. See if that helps.

If it does, you can copy styles & autotext through Tools/Templates & add-ins/Organizer. Just open both the normal.dot & normalold.dot & copy styles & autotext 1 or 2 at a time.

Of course, Phanks observation of macro protection should be checked out. Your IT department should know what kind of virus protection is installed & how it's set up.

Hope this helps.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Just renaming your Normal.dot might not be enough. Macros can also be created via add-ins.

have a look under Word at the file location for "Tools, Options, File Locations, Startup". Have a look at that folder and see if there are any ".dot" files. These templates are opened automatically br Word, and macros can be run from there.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't returned to my work place but have been thinking about our setup. We have McAfee loaded on the win98 workstation in question. It is set up to scan as files open. The domain has a WinNT 4 server with user files located on the server and roaming profiles so anyone can access their files from any station (school setting). We work from Word97 which is installed on the workstations and I would believe that the templates would stay with the workstations as well. We do not have any virus scanning on the server itself as our email comes in through another site and they scan it. We do not run applications from the server. We keep a full backup of the server in case of major problems. This is not the best situation but this is the way it is set up.

I will check out the normal.dot as suggested. Also would it be better to scan files as they are saved rather then opened to improve speed?

Thanks for your patience.

Thanks

If it is just this one PC, perhaps it needs a disk defrag? The SR2 patches might be all over the place.

> Also would it be better to scan files as they are saved
    > rather then opened to improve speed?

You'd lose your real-time protection against viruses, so it would improve the speed of infection. <wink> The question of virus scanning though, is worth exploring. If you know these documents are clean, try turning it off and seeing if there is a difference.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have a look at This posting.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I would like to pose one more question about my problem for anyone's thoughts. Along with all the other items, i.e. disabling "fastfind" "journaling in Outlook", etc., I ended up deleting Normal.dot,and the registry subkeys for "Data" and "Option" so now Word starts up like a charm. The menus respond very quickly EXCEPT for the very slow "Format/Font dialog box"!! Once it has opened for a document, it pops open quickly each time after until Word is shutdown and then restarted. Then it is the same old, same old.

[img]/w3timages/icons/question.gif[/img]So now I am wondering, as a long shot, could this computer be packed so full of fonts and somehow that could cause a problem? If so, how does one find out just how many fonts are on?? Which ones would be safe to delete?

Like I said, I was "just wondering"................Thanks again for being here! I like Woody's Lounge!!! [img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast