4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win Updates on E Drive; XP on C Drive (Win XP Pro)

Windows Update notifies me of "critical patches" sporadically. For example, there was an Internet Explorer Security Patch issued yesterday announced at their security website and in their bulletins and on countless XP websites but Update didn't say anything about it and a search on update shows the only critical Service Pack and Update available for me is the Microsoft .Net Framework Service Pack 2, Japanese Version. Since I already installed that in English, and don't speak Japanese, and chose English when it asked the language in setup,
    I don't find it critical--but this patch that Windows Update didn't notify me about at all seems a lot more relevant than the Japanese .Net patch. I don't know why Windows Update fails to notify you of the critical security patches like the one below, and notifies you of patches for games you don't have and that are less than critical in languages you don't speak. The extra ones wouldn't matter--it's leaving out the important ones that does. I have it set to download patches and notify me when they are ready to install.

My question is that I was running out of C Drive space, so I searched for all the critical patches for Win XP Pro that I didn't have, found 50 something it said I didn't have even though
    I have been downloading every patch they have provided since I installed the OS and since they began making patches and updates for Windows XP during the last 18 months, including the Beta I ran for six. I haven't missed any XP patches or Updates, and had downloaded the ones they said I needed on a search at least twice before. I sent these patches to my E Drive because it had plenty of room. With my OS and browser on C Drive, will the patches take effect if they are on the E Drive? The IE patch issued yesterday that Windows Update failed to evene mention is below. I have seen this erratic pattern with Windows Update since using
    the Beta RC1. I'd like to think I get the benefit of the patches I download that it keeps saying I
    need on search, but who knows?

__________________________________________________ __________________________

IE Patch issued by Microsoft 8/22/02:

"August 2002, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer (Q323759)" eliminates all previously addressed security vulnerabilities affecting Internet Explorer, as well as additional newly discovered vulnerabilities. This update includes the functionality of all previously released patches. Download now to continue keeping your computer secure.

For more information about the vulnerabilities ...

Thanks,

defrag

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Win Updates on E Drive; XP on C Drive (Win XP Pro)

defrag, Where you download the pathces in not important. When you execute the patch, the hotfix installer will determine where you've installed the OS and updates accordingly. BTW, you did a clean install of XPP when released didn't you?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe. Yes, I ran the Beta then I did a clean install of WXPPro. I want to make sure
    you understood what I was worried about though. I was getting full on C--I'm going to have to make a move either to knock down some partitions or copy some folders to another drive to make room .
    I bought myself some time by reducing the space system restore takes to 200MB or 1 % of my C Drive. Please see my question below on how to manage my drive real estate. If I can get someone to respond to that , I'd appreciate it:
    __________________________________________________ _________________________
    Best Way to Divide Hard Drive Real Estate (Win XP Pro)
    I downloaded the patches to E; my OS is on C, and I downloaded about 58 updates to
    E because I didn't have room for them on C. So my concern is that if the OS is on C and
    the patches are on E, can they impact the OS from a different drive?

Thanks--Please take a look at my post below on how to manage my hard drive space, because I need help with how to arrange my partitions and space. I'm thinking I should go with just two drives, and my CD burner drive and my DVD drive. Meaning a small drive for my OS and use the rest for a second large drive.

defrag

Administrator
    Thanks

defrag -- You're welcome. You have executed (i.e. double clicked) each patch haven't you? Unless you reload the OS from scratch once you apply a patch you should not have to download it again. Do you often reload the OS? What are your partition sizes? Other than organizational purposes, multiple partitions on the same physical disk don't do much for you. For instance, if you are performing regular backups multiple partitions can make it easier to backup only your information rather than all the OS files that probably won't change. Anyway, there is no good reason to have a small 'system' partition any more. You should leave plenty of room and do housekeeping on all your drives regularly.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe--

I just picked up on this, appreciated the help and wanted to answer it because I am still trying to figure out how to partition my hard drive "the best way." I always execute the patches, and I don't reload the OS if I can ever help it. I know some people consider doing it often a refreshing moment of zen. I know that it is an individual thing, depending on your needs--some people like their documents and other files on one drive, their video and pictures and sound files on another, but there is a lot out there about making a small drive for "system files" and the OS and I wanted to understand why you said it doesn't make any difference any more.
    I have four 18.6GB divisions and am way too full on C so I am going to have to move and delete some files. I wondered whether to make the C drive with the OS smaller and if so how large and whether to put "system files" on it and how to identify and lasso them in one group ifso. I would be reorganizing the partitions with Partition Magic, since it's my understanding that when you delete a partition using the Group Policy Editor you also erase all the data on that drive.

Thanks,

defrag

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Defrag,
    You keep saying that you down load the patches to the E drive, do you also run the install of these patches?

Once installed, they will be installed on you drive that the system is on, can be deleted from the stored down loaded folder..

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave--
    I see what you mean. I began to download some patches on the E drive when I searched and Win Update said I had all of these patches I needed a couple weeks ago. I knew I didn't have room for them on C. I really have been wondering about the accuracy of Windows Update's searching for XP downloads over on the left side or task pain because it ID's after searching files I already have, and drivers are often offered that I already have or in a couple cases have the newer version (I thought that was just the time lag for MS to sign the drivers).
    When it said I needed things I could not find in the Windows History, I put them in the basket, and knowing I didn't have room for them sent them to E drive. I understand your point about the installers--that you don't need them--they take up space. I keep them in my downloads folder to help me as a visual record of what got downloaded in case I get confused about whether I did or didn't get some patch.
    My big worry was that if I downloaded patches to "E" and the OS and the browser were on "C" how would they integrate or connect so that the patches could be part of the function in the OS? Am still confused about that. Could you comment on that--and if I'm not making myself clear let me know. Also Dave are these installers taking up significant space? I guess a mouseover will tell you how much space they take up. I've kept most of them in my downloads folder. Maybe since space is really critical, I need to blow them off. I just wanted them as a record.

Thanks,

defrag

Super Moderator
    Thanks

When at the Windows Update site you can see a list that has be installed, see the "history" link there.
    Also if you check out the "Windows" system folder on the hard drive in with windows is in stalled you will see some thing like the attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I check the history, but I think it's only confined to downloads through Update. If you download a patch--same one being offered through update from a link in a MS Security bulletin or from their Security site that doesn't go through or link to Update, then I don't think it shows. They also offer drivers earlier than the ones you have at times, and when you scan for possible updates, many are listed that are already on the history list. I never understood why.
    The drivers older than the ones you have (this has happened with my keyboard) I attributed to the time it takes them to sign or test drivers.
    What I was trying to figure out was that if you the browse and select for an installation or a patch to go to another drive besides C--will Windows install to C anyway, and if it did install a patch or a downloaded application on another drive besides C, say E, would the patch or download work ? I appreciate showing me the listing in the Windows folder--what's the significance of the $--is it from dos?--if you google it you get Mike Bloomberg instead of Bill Gates.

Thanks,

defrag

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Defrag,
    About your questions in the PM that you sent.

1) can you control where the downloaded program goes?
    <font color=red>Yes, but you can NOT control where they are installed, only the active OS can. They are installed by the OS that is active at the time. If the same update applies to different OS's then the fix must be run in each affected OS. I have NOT seen one update apply to 2 different OS's. The KB's will list a different download for each affected OS.</font color=red>

2) Would really appreciate your thoughts on how best to divide the hard drive?
    <font color=red>My drive arrangemnet is as follows and do NOT ask way.
    C: Windows 98
    D: Wins 98 programs
    E: Data
    F: Windows 2K and programs
    G: Windows XP Pro
    H: Win XP Programs
    I: More data
    J: Wifes back up drive, she backs up her data files here and I to one of her drives.
    K: Photos</font color=red>

Administrator
    Thanks

Defrag, Updating the OS with a patch is a two step process. The patch must be downloaded then installed. When you download a patch you can choose to open it immediately or save it to disk. When you choose to save the patch to your local disk you must double click the saved file to install the patch. Just downloading it by itself does nothing but take up disk space. The installer part of the patch figures out where your OS files are located and updates them.

Now on to partitioning. One thing to remember about partitioning is that if you only have one physical drive you are partitioning for your convenience and organizational purposes not for performance. These are significant issues not to be ignored. However with multiple partitions on the same physical drive you may in fact suffer a performance hit - you can find much discussion in various newsgroups about this subject. When you decide how much disk space to reserve for a system partition you must allow plenty of room for applying patches (such as Sp-1), changing configurations which will force you to change the OS, & normal day to day temporary files (unless you move them also). There are many articles in the MS KB about performance and moving files in Windows XP. There are several ways to easily recover disk space on your system partition (ususally C. If you have a broadband connection, decrease the size of your temporary internet files to 10 - 20 MB. Decrease the size reserved for sytem restore to 400 - 500 MB. That is usually enough for at least ten restore points. If you do not use hiberation turn it off. That will get rid of a file that is the same size as the amount of RAM of your system. Religously do housekeeping on your system.

The main thing to remember about partitioning is that like much else it is a personal decision. You'll likely have to experiment to find the best fit for you.

hth,
    Joe
    Joe