4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to Print Out List of Windows Updates (Win XP Pro)

I want to print a list of Windows Updates I have installed. The problem is that when you
    hit print from the toolbar, or File>Print, it will only print the tiny amount that is within the
    narrow (horizontally small) window where I have to scroll the list of many updates up or down.
    I did get the info printed by highlighting it and pasting it into Notepad, but the layout is better
    from Windows Update and I ought to be able to do it. I can't alter the way Windows update
    only shows a couple entries at a time, and why it works like this I don't understand.

Thanks,

defrag

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: How to Print Out List of Windows Updates (Win XP Pro)

Go to http://www.karenware.com/ and down load Directory Printer. It will print the names, and other information, of all folders and files on your computer.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Scroll down to the bottom of the update list, select all by startingin the lower right corner and then drag to the upper left corner including the header and then cut and paste into Word. You now have a current list of the Windows update installed on your machine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to Print Out List of Windows Updates (Win

Pretty neat trick, but you can simplify it a bit by simply clicking somewhere in the Installation History list then enter CTRL + A to select all, then cut & paste in a Word doc. Of course if Windows Update had a "Print" button it would be useful....

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks much for reminding me of Karen's site/very useful apps. There is something I need to fix about the very limited way the scroll feature on sites like Windows Update lets me view/print a list--don't know why they would make it difficult to view the very thing they are trying to showcase and feature--the history of your updates is only given a small space in which to scroll and view it.
    This list may help me get the list of all the files on my computer and I want to get a list of
    file paths/and command line switches for every feature/utility included within Windows XP Pro so that I can get fast access to them. I am not saying this well, but the command line switches and the command prompt have a faster, direct route to accessing Windows programs and Microsoft applications that seem to take considerably longer through the GUI.

defrag

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to Print Out List of Windows Updates (Win

Thanks to both of you. I had pasted into Notepad but of course it was formated "roughly" and not neatly as it is in Word. I tried Wordpad (just curious) and it didn't work--I don't know if it something I wasn't doing correctly or Wordpad. What a great help to be able to paste things into Word exactly as they are formatted. I had experienced this problem many times when a particular part of the web page didn't have a print button--often with some of the pop up information windows on sites that I wanted to copy or short cut/save, or get the functionality of the IE toolbar, I have resorted to Ctrl + N to "embed" the toolbar into the popup. But this is a good option for printing neatly with all the formatting. I wonder what "components" that Word has (I know it's part of its code) that allows Word to do this and not Notepad and apparently not Wordpad. I understand of course that you can't compare the free utility that comes in Windows with Word, perhaps Microsoft's #1 sales flagship globally, but I wonder what part of Word exactly allows it to do this.
    I was able to resize the update window to show a few more entries in the install list within
    the "scroll confines" (hope this makes sense), but still I don't understand with all the resources at Redmon's fingertips why the developers wouldn't understand you would want to click on a button and be able to view your update list and scroll it easily and maybe hit one of the hyperlinks for the KB on a particular item months later. But this is a great help.

Thanks,

defrag