New Lounger
    Thanks

Emailed workbook won't update (Xls 97)

Hi All,

I created for a friend a linked database in Excel 97 on my Win 98 pc, emailed the database and template files to him and then personally placed the files in the appropriate folders in his pc. (The template was put in his Templates folder and, for the workbook, I created a folder with the same name and put it in the same location that the workbook had been in on my computer.) My friend's OS is also Win 98, he also has Excel 97 and he has the Template Wizard installed.

The problem is, the database doesn't get updated, even though a popup window asks if I want to add the record to the database.

At one point, frustrated, I used Microsoft's Delink add-on to remove all the links and with the Template Wizard recreated them. Still no luck.

Updating the database worked perfecty for me on my pc. Does someone know why it doesn't work on my friend's?

I'm hoping the solution is one I can use, as I'm one step above an Excel newbie and don't know VB. I have, however, figured out how to create (not write) and use macros. :-)

Any help will be appreciated.

Patricia

Thanks

Re: Emailed workbook won't update (Xls 97)

Have you tried running the template wizard on your friend's computer with the template file?

Essentially make sure it is pointing to files on his computer. Perhaps it links to a different file (and even created a new one on his computer).

If nothing else, can't you "recreate" the template on his computer with the link?

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi sdchapr,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure what you mean by "running the template wizard" on my friend's computer "with the template file.". That is, when I removed the existing links with the Delink add-on and recreated them with the wizard, I thought I was, in effect, doing just that. I must be missing something here.

Could you or anyone else elaborate?

If I find no solution, I do plan to recreate the template on my friend's computer but hope to avoid it. The template is based on a form that took a lot of planning and work...and I'd hate to have to make it again from scratch.

Patricia

Thanks

I don't complete undersand how the template wizard works. What I suggest is:
    Open the template file, with the form, and copy just that worksheet to a new workbook. The template file has some hidden worksheets that I think would be best not moved so just copying the 1 worksheet seems to be the best approach. This should keep you from having to recreate the form itself but not have any of the template "overhead" or hidden items.
    Once you have that "new form" worksheet on your friends computer, run the template wizard to link it a workbook on his computer.
    Hope this helps,
    Steve