Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

recycle Bin corruption?

What happens when a file is temporarily missing from the recycle bin as it is being deleted?

I'm running Win95 with two removable drives and a fixed drive.

Removable1 is the boot drive and holds partition C:

Fixed1 is the data drive and holds drive D:

Removable2 sits in a drawer in another room.

First boot of the day is done with the Removable2 in the machine. Drive C is still drive C, but what was drive D is now Drive E because the backup drive's first partition becomes driveD:. Other drive letters are likewise shuffled about, and I've learned where they are.

Now during the previous day I had deleted files from the Fixed1 data drive as D:, but if I have my backup drive in place, those locationms would now look like drive E:.

If I go to Recycle Bin and say "empty it", the Recycle Bin still says that the deleted file came from drive D: (which is at the moment the once-a-day removable backup disk Removable2) and the Recycle Bin reports "File not found" or similar.

What has happened to that space? The recycle Bin has no entries, so I can't wait until I remove Removable2 and then re-empty the Recycle Bin with those original D: entries in place. They are gone from the bin.

Has the space been reclaimed?

Short of formatting a spare 2G partition and copying D: to the spare, reformatting D: and copying back, I've no way of finding out if I've a great gob of old space waiting for me.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: recycle Bin corruption?

Try running ScanDisk on the drive. Its job is to find lost disk space and other disk problems.
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: recycle Bin corruption?

Legare, thanks for this. I have Scandisk set up to run a quick-scan at each reboot - takes bout thirty seconds - so my guess would be that it has been busy reclaiming anything that WAS lost while I've been blisfully unaware of it!