New Lounger
    Thanks

Spell Check won't work (Word 97 SP2)

I created a document in Word the other day that, for some reason, didn't spell check. I printed it, displayed it, and was embarrassed when a spelling error was pointed out. I was determined to discover why I missed the spell check, since I have it turned on "as I type".
    When I ran spell check manually, I got a message that text set to (no proofing) was skipped. I discovered that all the text was set to (no proofing), but
    A. I don't know how or why, and
    B. I can't seem to set it back.
    Any thoughts?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Spell Check won't work (Word 97 SP2)

Sounds like your language preference for the affected text (Tools|Language|Set lanuage) is set to 'no proofing'. If it is, you can correct it there. If the underlying style is set to 'no proofing', you'll need to fix it via Format|Style|Modify|Format|Language.
    Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to what macropod said, you might also check to see if the default language style in normal.dot is set to "no proofing". If so, make sure to change the default back to your preferred language.

Thanks

I think "no proofing" works like any other character-level attribute. If you pasted even a short string of "no proofing" text and then typed within that string, I would expect the new characters to take on that attribute (just as with bold, italic, etc.). Another possible source of "no proofing" text is a DATE field code. Even after it is converted to text, it retains the "no proofing" attribute.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I haven't a clue why this occurred. There is a date contained in the first paragraph, but it is in the form of "August 15th", and Word superscripted the "th" automagically. The spelling errors occurred after that, and they were not detected. However, even the text before the "date" was set to no proofing. I started by inserting a picture at the top of the page. (This was a flyer.) Maybe that is what introduced it. Certainly, a picture should not be "proofed".

In any event, I was able to set it back, and I checked that my normal.dot was not set to no proofing, so I guess I'm fixed. It is just a puzzle how it occurred in the first place.