Thread: Security Issue

JamesP

Security Issue

Hi!
    Is it possible to set security level or limit access for an Access 97 database behind the scenes in the VBA code. My program is already able to read the users employee numbers and I wish to use these numbers to set different permission levels in the VBA code.

If this is possible, is there a place I could go to that may show me some examples of the code.

Thanks!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security Issue

Did you intend to use Access security or just "roll your own" security? Although Access security can be a nuisance at times, I much prefer it to writing my own security. The biggest complaint is that users have to log in. Yes, and that's what makes it security. No one can wander up to their desktop and get into the database without permission.

You said your program is able to read the users' employee numbers--which program is that? If this is the Access program, where is it getting the employee numbers from, and are you using the users' network login to lookup their employee numbers or what?
    Charlotte

JamesP

Hi Charlotte

Yes, where I am developing the data base, all employees must log into there work stations before they can use there computer. This is Win NT that they are using. I am using an Windows Api call ( I hope that is the right term ) to acquire there employee number which is there network login. I want to write my own security but need a little help to get started. I have a few Access books and none of them touch on writing your own security. I also have come up empty handed from searching the web as well.[img]/w3timages/icons/beep.gif[/img]
    Your help would be really appreciated!

Oh yeah, it is Access 97.

Thanks!!!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

James,

I'm going to lock this thread and put a link to it in the other <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=acc&Number=18188&page=0&vie w=collapsed&sb=5>thread </A> so that we don't keep going down parallel paths on the same question.
    Charlotte