New Lounger
    Thanks

Shortcut key for date (2000)

I have a database that I have put together. I loaded the database on two different computers. One of the computers does not allow the cntl-; shortcut key for entering today's date in a date field. The other allows it. Both computers allow this shortcut key in Excel, but the one refuses to acknowledge it in Access. I get a box that says" The expression you entered has a function name that Microsoft Access can't find" when it refuses to allow the shortcut. Is there some kind of global setting on the computer itself that is jamming me up? All help is gratefully accepted.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shortcut key for date (2000)

Maybe the computers have different versions of some library. You can try the following on the computer where Ctrl+; doesn't work:

<UL><LI>If the database contains modules, open any of them. If not, activate the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11) and select Insert/Module (you can close this module later without saving).
    <LI>Select Tools/References...
    <LI>If there is a reference starting with MISSING, uncheck the box to the left of it and click OK. Close the module (without saving), and switch back to Access. Then try Ctrl+; again in a table, query or form.
    <LI>If there is no reference starting with MISSING, select each of the checked references in turn and write down the name of the reference and the path+filename that appears below the list. Do the same on the computer where Ctrl+; works and see if there are differences. If you find any, post the details here.[/list]HTH,
    Hans

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Input masks can also prevent from entering the date with ctrl+; if the international settings of windows have different settings of the input mask
    Francois

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks so much for the reply. Sure enough there was a MISSING reference. Once I removed the check the date shortcut key worked perfectly.

Appreciate the help.
    Marc in the dark