New Lounger
    Thanks

Paragraph styles problem merging table cells (Word 2000/SR1)

I have a three-column table; each column is formatted with a different paragraph style (let's call them Style1, Style2, Style 3). I now need to merge to a one-column table with three lines that preserve the paragraph formatting. If none of the columns is blank, all works as intended: I get three paragraphs in the merged cell: the first paragraph is Style1, the second is Style 2, the third is Style 3.

The problem comes with blank cells. Say that the cells in columns 2 and 3 are blank. After the merge, the original column 1 text now is formatted in Style 3. What happened to Style 1???

Other than brute-force replacing blank cells with space characters, can anyone please suggest a workaround or fix?
    Thank you!
    George Baldwin

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Paragraph styles problem merging table cells (Word 2000/SR1)

Hi George:
    And what happened to style 2 also? Paragraph styles are contained in paragraph marks & end of cell markers. When you merge cells, Word replaces the end of cell marker with a paragraph mark after every cell that contains text. Therefore, if you have blank cells, their end of cell markers are simply deleted. Your left with the last end of cell marker, which is style 3 in your case.

By the way, I am not justifying how Word merges cells. If you try to merge 20 rows in a 2 column table, what you really want is 20 rows, 1 column. You end up with 1 row, 1 column (i.e. 1 cell).

Offhand, I cannot think of a good way to preserve the correct styles. You could select the cell that contains text (before the merge) & press Ctrl+Shift+C (this copies formatting). After the merge, you can select the cell again & press Ctrl+Shift+V (this pastes formatting). This doesn't work well if you have blank cells interspersed with text cells. You can only copy & paste formatting of one cell at a time. Maybe someone else has a better workaround.

Cheers,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Paragraph styles problem merging table cells (Word 2000/SR1)

I can't think of an easy fix but one way would be to ensure that each cell ends with a return (or at least the ones with a blank cell to its right).
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia