Lounger
    Thanks

overnormalized database? (2000)

I have attached a zip file containing just the tables. I may have gone a little Table-Creation crazy, but I'd like to know if there is some way to reduce the number of tables. The whole design was based on following an individual rat throughout it's lifetime. There are four ways to take images : MRI, MRS, PET, CT. Four types of tissue analysis : Histology, Molecular (Western and Gene Arrays), Elisa, Electrophysiology.
    I created tables like 'Workgroup' because a rat could be in multiple studies, or used by multiple people in various studies. I particularly struggled with 'Surgery' and 'Drug Treatment'. Drug Treatment keeps track of every injection the little guys have ever had. A surgery may or may not involve an injection, and an injection may or may not be part of a surgery. The problem is that I don't want any null entries in my tables, and that seems hard to avoid. I wanted to put an InjectionID in 'Surgery', but of course that would leave many null entries. Similarly with Drug Treatment, I wanted to put a SurgeryID in, but most injections would not be part of a surgery, and I would have many null entries. Trying to find out how many injections have been part of a surgery currently is going to suck. Any help or advice is appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: overnormalized database? (2000)

Why are you so against Null entries?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Lounger
    Thanks

I thought it unnecessarily increased overhead for the database.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

No, null values don't really cause much bloat in a database. As to your original question regarding your database structure, I took a peek and think you have made it more complex than it probably needs to be. Three or 4 of your tables have a link to nearly all of your tables, which will really impact performance, and many of your tables are essentially a note field with a series of lookup indexes as the key. I think you might want to think more in terms of an event table with a series of things that can happen, and a table that defines when such and event occurred and any notes that need to be related to it. I've worked on Access databases since version 1.0, and have never seen an ER diagram with as many relationships as you have, so in my mind I immediately suspect that the structure is more complex than it should be. Of course the structure must deal correctly with the problem you are trying to solve, and I don't have enough details to suggest a more appropriate one. Hope this provides some insights.
    Wendell

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

>>I thought it unnecessarily increased overhead for the database. <<

I've never heard of this. A null field should have no effect on the database.
    Mark Liquorman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Which shouldn't encourage people to litter their tables with records that are largely null, however.
    Charlotte

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

>>Which shouldn't encourage people to litter their tables with records that are largely null, however.<<

True, except I had the feeling he was jumping thru hoops merely to avoid even a single null field.
    Mark Liquorman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That would, indeed, be a waste of time and effort.
    Charlotte