New Lounger
    Thanks

MRU problem (2000/SR-1)

We are having a problem with the "most recently used" list in Excel. Using Windows 95 and Novell Groupwise Version 5.5.4. The only spreadsheets that show up on the MRU are spreadsheets that have been saved to a person's C: drive. When the spreadsheets are saved to the network through Groupwise (Default directory "D:My Files" for all data) they will not show up on the MRU. I have changed the default file location in Excel to the D:My Files directory but the spreadsheets still do not show up on the MRU. This is only happening in Excel - when using Word 2000 all documents show as they should on the MRU. Our IS Department can't figure out what the problem is. Any suggestions as to where we might look or what we might try to troubleshoot the problem? Hope this is understandable - this is my first post in the Excel Forum and I am definitely NOT an expert in Excel.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: MRU problem (2000/SR-1)

Hi Chris,
    The only files that appear in Excel's MRU are those which are opened from within Excel or are saved via 'Save As'. Opening files via Windows Explorer, for example, doesn't add them to Excel's MRU, even if you then do a normal 'Save'. This is quite different to how Word's MRU works. Are you sure that isn't what you're seeing?
    Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

These are all spreadsheets created from scratch in Excel and saved into Groupwise. I have a feeling the problem has to do with Groupwise rather than Excel because if I create a spreadsheet and save it onto my hard drive (C it shows up on the MRU the next time I want to open it. If I create the spreadsheet and save it to Groupwise on our network (F it never shows up on the MRU. This also happens to others who work in Excel. I guess it must be just a quirk in Groupwise. Thanks for at responding. I guess we'll just have to live with it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I *think* MS has already confirmed this to be a bug, read this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q166880

Somewhere it sais:

"You open the file from within a mail message."

maybe Groupwise counts as a mail program?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association