5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Compressed folders in W2K

I've been a user of Win95/98/ME for a number of years and have enjoyed using Explorer to manage my compressed folders instead of having to rely on Winzip or other archiving program. I just received a nice new PC that is running Windows 2000 Professional and tried to use Explorer on some zipped folders only to have them go unrecognized by the OS. One download and install later and I had Winzip available, but I would really prefer to go back to Explorer-based compressing with its easy drag 'n drop and 'Send to compressed folder' ease of use. Is there a fix or tweak available?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compressed folders in W2K

You're gonna like this then.

1. <LI>Insert your Win98 Plus! CD-ROM. Alternately you can grab the necessary files from Windows ME or XP if you have a system around running one of them.
      <LI>From plus98.cab or the existing Windows installation, extract all the zip-related files (i.e., *ZIP*.*): - DUNZIP.DLL - DUNZIP32.DLL - DZIP.DLL - DZIP32.DLL - ZIPFLDR.DLL
      <LI>Copy these files to your system32 directory (e.g., c:winntsystem32).
      <LI>Run the following command (Start - Run): <pre>regsvr32.exe c:winntsystem32zipfldr.dll</pre>

<LI>You will receive the following message: DllRegisterServer in [path]zipfldr.dll succeeded. You don't need to restart the machine or your Explorer session.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

'Like' is too mild a term for this trick! I have to wonder why this feature isn't universally adopted by Microsoft into all of their standard installation packages. It is, after all, only a file management feature and not some completely unrelated 'OS extra feature' like their superfluous, proprietary Media player.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

It is standard in XP.

Joe
    Joe