3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

PowerPoint Can't Read File (2002)

Hi All,

We have a powerpoint file created and last saved in 2002 (XP). However when we try to open it on an XP PC (Win and Office) we get the message "Powerpoint can't read <path and file name>. with the option of OK or Help. Help says "the file you tried to open does not appear to be a powerpoint file .ppt. Check the original file to find out the real file type; you may be able to edit it in another program designed for that file type."

We are able to open the file in powerpoint 2000 but loose a lot of the animations, we have three XP machines and all get the same results.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Karen

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: PowerPoint Can't Read File (2002)

I'm sorry to say it sounds like the file has been corrupted. You might try opening the file in PPT 2000 and saving a copy of it. Then try opening the 2000 version in 2002. There are commercial services that will try to fix this kind of thing, but they are pretty expensive. By the way, you don't indicate what Service Packs have been applied to your Office install, but if you don't have both SP1 and SP2, you might try installing them to see if they fix some sort of problem.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: PowerPoint Can't Read File (2002)

Thanks for your quick response. I'm with you - I think it has been corrupted. I would like to find out what causes these kind of corruptions. I went to the knowledge base article Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q291911 and it had some info regarding similar, but not exactly the same message. Have done all the steps in the knowledge base article (except the scan disk because the file is on the server).

When opened it in 2000 and saved it, and then opened it in XP it had substituted the fonts but all else seemed okay. Just would like to know the cause and how you would get around the problem if you weren't running multiple versions of office.

Cheers