Thread: Moving House

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moving House

This question would be off-topic in virtually all oof the Lounge forums, but I'd nevertheless like to tap into the broad range of expertise available here, so please bear with me.

Our family may soon be moving from western Canada to central Canada. I'm seeking any advice as to what preparations I should be making in terms of data, e-mail address books, browser favourites, etc in the coming weeks to facilitate a rapid return to service once the move is complete.

I presently have a cable modem connection, and am not sure what the ISP will be out east. I use Windows ME with Office 97, and use Outlook Express and Internet Explorer.

At present I regularly back up on a Cd our critical data files - should I be considering copying more of the hard drive to CDs before moving?

Pretty basic questions, I know, but any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving House

How do you now connect to the internet?
    Is it with a dial-up connection to a PPP account that uses a POP server for email?

Or does your ISP require that youe use proprietary software?

If the former, then little needs to change if you get an ISP that does not require proprietary software. You might need to change some settings in the dial up connection and point to different email servers, but that's not hard and most ISPs would have instructions on how to do that.

If you are currently using an ISP with proprietary software, then you'll have to adjust more things.

I'd recommend finding an ISP that does not require the use of proprietary software.

Perhaps there are local newsgroups/forums in Canada that will enable you to locate an ISP before you move. You could then check out their web site for details.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - that's not a problem. I'm on a cable modemm connection - no particular software required on my computer, just a network card to take the video cable connection. I hope at the far end to have a cable connection again, or alternatively an IDSL line which I understand uses the same network card.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry - should have added that it's also a conventional POP mail server with standard mailbox/server IDs.