New Lounger
    Thanks

shdoclc.dll/dnserror

I have a client with a copy of IE that won't run. Whenever he opens IE, he gets a brief indication in the bar at the bottom that says IE is trying to open
    c//res://windowssystemshdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm, but can't find it. He then gets the standard IE can't open the page..... message.

I upgraded his IE from 4.0 to 5.5 sp2, no help. I uninstalled all of his communications components in Windows Setup and reinstalled them after a cold boot. No help. I installed Opera 5, and it gives me an error message about a critical winsock error. I booted to DOS, renamed winsock.dll and wsock32.dll and copied new versions from the install CD. I deleted and recreated his DUN connection.

I did a google search for the error message and got items mostly related to AOL, but one from Germany that (as best I could tell) talked about a registry problem associated with networking/winsock/DUN. Before I go editing someone else's registry, I would like a little more specific guidance. Anybody seen this error before and got a fix?

BTW, a search of the MS Knowledge base turned up zero.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: shdoclc.dll/dnserror

Try something for grins and giggles.

Open a command prompt (Start - Run - Command) and try to ping the following addresses:
    1. <LI>www.wopr.com<LI>127.0.0.1
    See if you get a response from either one. If you don't see a reply from the loopback address (127.0.0.1) then there's a serious problem, because the TCP/IP protocol can't even talk to the local machine.

Another thing to check would be to see if you can open a web page that is saved locally, on the hard drive - to ensure that IE can even display pages.

Lastly, you may want to check this thread and try the fix noted there.

Good luck!
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: shdoclc.dll/dnserror

How is the computer connected to the Internet?