Dick_C

AutoArchive feature

I'm wondering how the autoarchive function works. Does it use aging of dates versus calendar dates? Is it possible to set up the autoarchive to once a month archive everything in each folder so the archive can be named for the month/year for future retrieval? Or if done by aging, then each month only the messages 30 days old would be archived? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Dick

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AutoArchive feature

it goes by last accessed dates. you can manually add a new pst, name it for the month and year then manually move items to it and close it. thats how i do it so i have total control over what i need moved.

Dick_C

Thanks Mary!

Dick

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A slightly more automatic method could be adopted, although it will still have limitations.
    Once off set-up tasks.
    1. Set up a reminder for 1st of every month to do an archive
    2. Set autoarchive properties of each folder (select a folder|right click|Properties|then select the Autoarchive tab) to be the time period you want (e.g. 1 month)
    Then
    3 When reminded, use File|Archive and set the "Archive all folders according to their AutoArchive settings" option.
    4. Change the destination file to whatever month you're archiving. The archive function will create this if it does not exist.
    5. OK and the archive function will start.

Limitations.
    As Mary said, archiving is not based on the date the item was received/sent - I've attached a .gif picture of the Outlook help which gives the algorithm - so the contents of the archive may not be a one for one match with what you'd expect (i.e. a file named feburary.pst might a) not contain everything from Feb and may contain things from other months)
    Second, to see the archive file contents, you've got to set up a Personal Folder service linked to the file - and you might argue that if you're going to do that, it would be simpler to use Mary's method because that way you know exactly what's in the file.
    It's really down to what suits you best.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Silverback