mmiles

Access and .asc files

[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] What's the best way to store .asc files in an access database. I'd rather not store the text file as I understand this will require memo fields, yes? Please reply to mmiles@bcc.ctc.edu.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access and .asc files

Dear MMiles,

You could import an *.asc file in to Access, is this what you want?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What is it you want to do with these files? You can always store the address of the file, or even a hyperlink to that address rather than the document itself.
    Charlotte

mmiles

Hello. I would also prefer to store links to these files, but for some reason my customers want to store the files themselves within Access. They would like to reference them if necessary, I guess.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We really need a better understanding of the purpose of the exercise. Do the .asc files relate one file to each record in a table? Or does the .asc file contain many records in, say, CSV or SDF format?

Do you want a button on a form which displays the .asc file relating to, say, the current customer?

Some more information also please on the size range of the .asc files.

Will you want to create the files within access?

And, perhaps, why do you not want memo fields?
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

mmiles

the .asc file contains a PGP public key that we will use for the specified customer. It's associated to a license held by that customer; but not all licenses will have one of these .asc files. The dbs has a button that navs from the license form to another form wherein we would like to store these .asc files. I'm not sure why my client wants to store these in the dbs, but so far that is their preference. The .mdb file is large and growing and we are already managing locking problems and I had read that memo fields will contribute to this problem. We do plan to SQL'ized the backend, but that is a ways out.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Memo fields tend to invite corruption more than any other kind of data storage. However, I'm still unclear as to what you're doing. Asc files are text files, so I must be missing something here. You don't store anything in a form, you store it in a table or you store a hyperlink or a document or another object in a table.

If you store files in an Access database, it will grow by leaps and bounds and will require upsizing sooner rather than later. Storing text files won't cause locking problems, which are a problem with interface design as much as anything. However, it will cause performance problems, especially over a network. Clients don't always understand the very good reasons not to do it the way they want it done. In this case, it sounds like you need to educate them on the problems they're building for themselves and for you.
    Charlotte

mmiles

Thanks for the input. I have agreed with you all along, and will now go back with the reinforcment.