New Lounger
    Thanks

How to .pdf powerpoint briefing (2000 SR-1)

How do I .pdf a briefing? I am a novice at this program and don't see any way among the menus to accomplish this. Thanks for any help.

JoanS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to .pdf powerpoint briefing (2000 SR-1)

What do you mean by "PDF a briefing"? Are you calling a PowerPoint file a "briefing"? Is it you want to convert a PowerPoint file to a PDF file? If so, that requires the Adobe program and is not a part of PowerPoint. It's not supposed to be in the menus as Microsoft doesn't own the program that creates PDF's (yet). They are two separate companies.

I think the program you are asking about is called Adobe Acrobat. You would have to have the FULL version, not the free Reader you see on the Web for download. The full version is quite pricey as I recall.

-Lenny

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

By the way, I want to add that you might be thinking of Corel Presentations, which has a built-in command to convert the file to PDF and a number of other formats. PowerPoint does not come with that tool.

-Lenny

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

As Lenny says, you need the full Acrobat package. Then you just print from PowerPoint to the Distiller Assistant driver which "distills" the PS file into PDF.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Thanks

You also can use a simple PDF print driver, such as pdfFactory from FinePrint. You do need to pay the $50 to get rid of the footer.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I'm calling a collection of PowerPoint slides a "briefing." That's what they will be used for. I wonder why the option to PDF file is not in PowerPoint? Word provides that option. But, yes, my office has the full version of Acrobat 4, so I will try that tomorrow. Thanks to all who took the time to answer me so quickly!

JS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Word provides [to PDF file] option.<hr>

Are you sure about that? As I recall, the PDF maker in Word (if it exists) is an add-in someone has loaded after the Word install. Out of the box, I don't think it's part of Word. You may be using a company installed Word program where the administrator added the PDF creator as a default feature. Still they, or someone, had to pay for it extra.

Personally, I can't understand why Corel includes PDF maker for free as standard equipment, and MS does not. Corel even includes a Flash converter for their presentation program so it can be viewed by anyone. Don't we wish PowerPoint 200x had a viewer that worked or a PDF maker for free like Corel.

-Lenny

New Lounger
    Thanks

You're absolutely right! It 's cause the office has installed the full Acrobat on all the machines. When I pull down the File menu in Word it offers to "Create PDF file," but my out-of-the-box Word at home will do no such thing, since I only have Acrobat Reader! But I can turn my briefing into a PDF file from PowerPoint thanks to timely info from all you nice people!

JoanS