5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel worksheet appears on startup (97 Sr2 on Win2k)

A friend of mine has a problem that I can't figure out. When she starts her PC, or reboots it, an Excel workbook (Book1) opens and closes right away. There are no toolbars when it is open, and it closes automatically almost as soon as it opens. I have checked her startup folder, and there are no files in there. I have searched for excel.exe, but the only place it shows is in the Office folder, like it's supposed to. I checked Excel's options, but couldn't find anything that would cause it to open/close at PC startup. What else should I look for??

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel worksheet appears on startup (97 Sr2 on Win2k)

Which startup folder did you check. This problem is most likely cauused be a file in one of the three Windows startup folders (Default User, All Users, or the User Logging On). There is most likely a .xls or .xlt file in one of those three folders.
    Legare Coleman

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I checked all the ones you mentioned. I did a search for xls, xlt, xla to see what folders they show up in. I checked the registry settings for Workstation. I checked for personal.xls to see if there was a startup macro of some sort. There isn't a personal.xls. I paused the sheet when it was loading, and it the bottom said, "Loading funcres.xla" so I searched for that file. It is located in the library, with other xla files - nothing to do with start up.

In my searching, though, I discovered that she has installed Publisher 2002. Everything else is Office 97, but it appears XP has loaded some files on the PC. I can't see that any of them are in a position to start automatically though. And, don't forget, it closes a few seconds after it opens - it's like a show command somewhere.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

funcres.xla is part of Excel, and is loaded whenever Excel loads. So, that should not have anything to do with it. If there is nothing in the Windows startup directories, then my only guess is that something that she has installed has put something in the registry to start at every boot, and that is starting Excel for some reason. I am not familiar with Publisher, but it might do something like that. Maybe someone else will jump in with some ideas.
    Legare Coleman