3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word Attachment not opening (Outlook 2000/win98)

I have a user that cannot open word attachments in Outlook. When he double clicks on the attachment in an outlook message, Word opens, but the document does not. He can save the file locally, and open it that way, and everyone else can open these attachments without problem. We are NOT using Word as the email editor.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on?

Thanks

Re: Word Attachment not opening (Outlook 2000/win98)

The workaround is to open Word before-hand; it's been mentioned here before as a timing problem, or something like that. If that DOESN'T solve the problem, it could be something about the set-up of .doc files in Windows.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've tried opening Word first. When I do that, then double click on the attachment, another instance of Word opens with no document open. As for the set-up of .doc files in Windows, what do you mean by that? Should I try removing .doc from file types and then re-add it?

Thanks

Someone has posted a trick that forces all the File Types settings to be re-set to their defaults using a command-line switch. Something like Start*>*Run... winword.exe /? it's the "?" part I can't remember.

Online help suggests:
    <hr><big>Have the Windows installer automatically repair Office or an Office program</big>
    The Microsoft Windows installer can detect and repair problems associated with installed Microsoft Office 2000 programs, such as missing files and registry settings. It does not repair personal files, such as documents or worksheets.
    1. <LI>On the Help menu, click Detect and Repair.
      <LI>To restore the program shortcuts to the Windows Start menu, select the Restore my shortcuts while repairing check box.
    <hr>
    On the Word board, you probably can find other comments on the File Types settings. Hope this helps.