Star Lounger
    Thanks

changing criteria for multiple reports (?) (2002)

Sometimes it's hard to explain what's happening - I hope this will not be too confusing...
    I use the same report format to run reports with different parameters (for example: I need print the records that are of a specific type of information and and then print records of a different type of information with the same report format)
    Right now the only way I can do this is to design a report for every instance. I know this is way too cumbersome - I should be able to have 1 report and just change the underlying query based on user input.
    I've done this with other reports that are run with regular queries, but this report is run using a crosstab query.
    I can't figure out how to change the underlying query so the crosstab query works correctly and prints the right information. I've tried to locate info in help - but I don't know exactly what I'm asking for so I'm getting nowhere fast.
    Is there anyone who understands what it is I'm trying to do and can offer advise? I really don't want to design 15 different reports just because one or two of the criteria are different for each report.
    Thanks.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: changing criteria for multiple reports (?) (2002)

Right now I am working with crosstabs where the criteria is changing but I am able to change the criteria in
    a query before the crosstab query runs...meaning my crosstab query is base on a query but for my report i am only
    using the sum field which does not cause me any problems in the report. I'll add and maybe you know that
    in a crosstab query you can add fields that might come up empty one time but be there the next time....
    like if your crosstab is base on months of the year you can show all the months.
    so does building a query first help you out or is the missing column names a problem in your report.
    Greg

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Greg
    I think I understand what you are saying - I am also basing my crosstab query on a query - I don't have any problem with the fields that print. I'm getting "too much" information.
    ... wait a minute. I think I answered my own question by trying to explain to you what I'm doing. I don't know why I can't filter out what I want from the crosstab query..??
    If I continue to have problems I will re-address the Lounge.
    thanks for at least starting my mind in the right direction. (I'm feeling kinda DUH.....)
    Debbie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can make your crosstab query a parameter query and filter the records that way, or you can open the report from code and pass it a where condition that will filter the records in the report rather than in the query.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte
    Thank you for responding - I was able to figure out what to do after I gave it some thought. Your suggestion of a parameter query was just the ticket.

I appreciate the time taken to respond. Sometimes my brain is stuck in first gear and I need help finding a "clutch"...