Star Lounger
    Thanks

Look up contacts (2000)

I'm a from-home worker who's always used "Internet Only" mail access, and now I've been moved to Exchange Server, which everyone swears will make my life better. I agree it's nice to have more time to drink coffee while Outlook starts, now that I've made the switch - heck, it used to be boringly quick.<grin>

But that's not my problem. I'm confused about a couple of things.

The way my company has it set up, there's a public address book, contacts:xxxx@mycompany.org, and I'm now able to use that, including all the mailing lists in it. Good. But there's one thing that's worse: in the past, I could right-click on a sender's address and Look Up Contact and their vCard info would be displayed. Now that I'm using the public address book, that doesn't work anymore - I get "Could not find a contact...."

I presume it's looking in my own Contacts list, not the shared one. Is there any way I can get it to do what it used to, before I got "improved"?

deB

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Look up contacts (2000)

Hope i am understanding you here, but if you open your original personal folders whils connected to Exchange, then when you click "To" in a new message, and the Address Book opens, you can select your own address book instead of the GAL, and find your original list....

I hope this helps....

Star Lounger
    Thanks

> open your original personal folders whils connected to Exchange, then when you click "To" in a new message

Hi, thanks for the post, but that's not what I'm trying to do... I'm trying to right-click on the sender's name, on a message I already received, to pull up his/her Properties so I can get their phone number. It only seems to work if the contact is in my own Contacts folder, not if it's in the public folder "contacts:xxx@mycompany.org".

The public folder DOES work when I'm addressing a new msg. But it apparently does not get searched when I do right-click/Properties.

What do you-all out there do about this? Is everyone just accustomed to going off to a separate window to look someone up?

Dave

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, now i understand you.....

Firstly, i will admit to being a bit of a newbie to Exchange Server, but i have now set up several Exchange Server 5.5 installations (for different small businesses), and the details tha i think you want, i.e. the properties for an internal sender, will have been (or should have been) entered for that sender by the Exchange Server Administrator when setting up the mail account.

I suggest your first port of call should be the Admistrator. Perhaps he has a policy of not entering all the contact details.......

Hope this helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Peter, but you're not hearing me or I'm not making myself clear. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm NOT talking about someone in the public contacts folder, set up by the administrator.

Thanks anyway,
    Dave

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I wonder if it would work if you assign the "GAL" Global Addr.Book as your primary one. Although, if the person you are trying to look up is not listed in the phonebook you won't be able to see all the info or properties. You can change that by going to Tools / Services. Look at your profile and there should be a tab that says "addressing" or something similar. Or you could copy the persons name from the GAL to your contact folder. Maybe that will help.