New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel and Word (office 2000)

Hello!

Situation:
    I have an Excel sheet which I use as a small database.
    I have a Word document with fields for a mailing.

How can I connect a picture to a cell in an Excel sheet in a way that Word reads this picture (as a field) and displays this when I combine the Word document with my Excel sheet?
    Can I connect the picture (TIFF) to a code in a cell or something like that? I've tried several things, but they won't work....

Many thanks in advance!
    Daphne

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel and Word (office 2000)

Hi Daphne,

If you have the pictures as separate files, you can store the path to the pictures in the cells, like this:

<table border=1><td>FilePath</td><td>C:MyCat.tif</td><td>C:MyDog.tif</td></table>
    In the Word document, use Ctrl+F9 to insert field brackets and create a nested field as follows (it's better to type this than to try creating it with Insert/Field... or Insert MergeField):
    { INCLUDEPICTURE "{ MERGEFIELD FilePath }" d }
    Note: you can't copy and paste the field code from this post into Word. Use Ctrl+F9 as mentioned above. When you've typed the field code, click in the inner field and type Shift+F9 twice to hid the field codes.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you have a limited number of picture files linked to a code, you can make a separate table in Excel with the codes and the corresponding file names. In your merge table, you can add a column for the file name. The file names are retrieved from the separate table using VLookup.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have attached a zip file that may help - it is not a perfect solution though.
    The zip file contains four files:
    <UL><LI>a Word document MergeFile.doc - this can go anywhere
    <LI>an Excel spreadsheet DataFile.xls - this should be saved in C:
    <LI>bitmaps Sig1.bmp and Sig2.bmp - these should go into C: too[/list]MergeFile.doc is a catalog-type merge document. After you merge to a new document, all signatures are the same (on my PC). You must select all and refresh (F9). You should see two different "signatures" then.
    Attached Files Attached Files