Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Home Fun and Games - 2 (XP Home)

Okay - second question following recent meltdown.

I have two different questions on XP Home administration, both arising from my most recent hospitalization of my home computer, which was addressed at length in a related thread on Administrator's Password. My machine should be back today, for a short period of rehab, and then back into full operation. I've searched these two issues in both the Lounge and MS Knowledge base, think I know what to do, but would greatly appreciate the always informed and valuable advice of Lounge denizens.

I have now installed a second hard drive, and already have an external CD R/W.

I'll start initially by installing the backup that comes with XPH. Question is, what advantages pertain to backing up to a second internal hard drive versus the CD R/W? Also, should I/can I make either one of these backup possibilities bootable to give me an out from my previous dilemma?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: XP Home Fun and Games - 2 (XP Home)

Dave, I think the biggest difference you'd see is speed of backup. A disk will be much faster than CD. I'd recommend that you use a third part backup software solution. As you can tell from the prior thread I like Drive Image. You'll have your choice of backup media plus lots of other flexibility. IMHO, Drive Image is well worth the money. I can't remember where but I know I've seen a procedure for making a DI backup CD bootable.

HTH, Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Home Fun and Games - 2 (XP Home)

Thanks Joe - after I take out a second mortagage to get my computer back, I'll cash in my empties and look for a decent backup solution - Drive Image seems to be quite popular.