5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table formula (Word XP SR-1)

I'm writing a formula for a Word table (Excel won't do for a number of reason). The table cells involved look like this, where the follwing represent the bookmark names of the cells in a column:

Amt1
    Amt2
    Amt3

MySubTotal =Sum(Amt1,Amt2,Amt3)
    PaidAmount
    MyTotal =mySubTotal - PaidAmount

The MyTotal amount is calculating incorrectly, or so I would say. If Amt1, Amt2 and Amt3 are all $100, and PaidAmount is $50, I would expect MyTotal to be $250. MysubTotal = 100 + 100 + 100; then MySubTotal - 50 = 250. But the formula calculates to $550. It seems that MySubTotal in the MyTotal formula is being evaluated as both the formula in that cell PLUS the results of the formula. In other words $600 - $50, instead of $300 - $50.

Obviosly, I can write the formula in MyTotal as Amt1 + Amt2 + Amt3 - PaidAmount. But that seems more complicated than necessary.

Any ideas about this?

Thanks,
    Richard Barrett

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table formula (Word XP SR-1)

My guess would be that there is a mistake in the definition of the bookmark MySubTotal. Try to delete it and create it anew.

I have attached a Word 97 document that displays the correct calculation (on my PC).
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The difference may be Word 97 / Word XP. I see you used semi-colons between the several book marks to be added, and I had used commas. I gave the semi-colons a try, and that did not work. It didn't total at all.

An additional variant here is that all of my bookmarks are Word form fields, with the bookmark a field property. I've attached the file I'm working with... I've duplicated the problem with several files now. You'll need to protect the form before working with it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Isn't this fun? I had semi-colons in my document because my Windows is set to Dutch. In The Netherlands, we use the comma as decimal separator. I had expected that the semi-colons would be converted to commas automatically when you opened the document with US settings (as Excel does), but apparently not. So much for international compatibility...

I notice that you have embedded your formulas within form fields; try taking them out (I don't think you need form fields for calculated results) and see what happens.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. Yes, that worked. If I used a formula field for the SubTotal cell, instead of a form field with an embedded formula, it worked as expected. I guess I should expect *everything* to work correctly, should I? So much for any kind of compatibility!!!

Thanks again.